What is it about rap(and pop)?

MisterDeadeye
10+ year member

Bannned
Nebraska
So, I've never been into rap. I went through an Eminem phase when I was probably thirteen(even wore wife beaters, a fake silver chain, and I bleached my hair), but that only lasted a few months. I haven't been able to listen to a single rap song I've listened to in the past several years(like I said, excluding the Eminem phase I went through as an angry child).

I listen to a very wide variety of music, but again, I just can't stand rap. What is it about rap that makes most car audio enthusiasts, and most Americans in general, go wild? Bass doesn't count. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif

(This isn't a "my musical taste is better than yours", thread.)

I figured I'd post this here so I can dodge the trolling; I sincerely want to know what people enjoy about rap. Oh, and pop. I don't understand pop either.

The beats a great. Beats mean everything to me. There can be some weak asss lyrics, but if they beat is nice then I will mess with it. Rap can be mellow, can get you hype, can prepare you for war, etc.

Pop on the other hand, I am not so sure. I really mess with older pop stuff, but now a days (just like rap), anyone can jump on a track, and the technology can make them sound nothing like they really are.

rap *****, only play it when I demo. Lyrics are all retarded at best, but since it's all tones underneath it's the loudest to demo with.

what do you consider pop?

I am in the same boat. I really don't like rap in general. It used to make me nauseous to have to listen to it. I can appriate a decent song. I don't know if it counts as rap, but White Trash by Paranoid Social Club is pretty good.

As for pop, it is short for popular music. Most people have a general scope as far as music that they can appriciate. It can't be too fast, too slow, or anything to any extreme. If it has a catchy beat and a pleasant voice singing the majority of people will like it. It has got pretty terrible in the last several years.

I don't know how old any of you are but I have found that most people get stuck in a rut when it comes to music they want to listen to. I grew up listening to late 50's and early 60's rock and do wop (this is what my mother liked). Then by upper elementary I got into country (early 90's country is still my favorite time for this genre). I then graduated to pop in the late 90's and by 2002 I was only listening to hard rock. I have found in my old age (30 now) that I don't like nearly as much of the new music that is being produced. I still listen rock channels but I still go back to the songs that I grew up listening to. I have heard it said that the music you listened to in your early 20's is pretty much what you will want to listen to for the rest of your life. This how oldies stations stay in business.

I hate all these new "artists" that have been coming out of no where calling thems selves rappers... I like older rap that's about getting shot if your on the wrong block and how hard it was before they made it that's by guys that actually grew up in that so it has a little meaning... This new **** that all these 15 year olds like to call "rap" about going to clubs ,drinking cheap tequila, and the worst of all how much money they can waste is horrible! The people that sing it are even worse... Pretty much all of them have zero talent and act like they are all just straight out of the ghetto when we all know damn well they are all mostly from some local white subdivision community lol...

Rap music needs a good beat with good bass to get you to listen because the lyrics are shit.

Hip Hop is better with a good beat and almost never has good bass because they want you to hear the lyrics.

I listen to rap because it's catchy, same goes for what little pop I listen too. The rest of my iTunes library has more british artists than it does American, I love britpop/britrock

The beats a great. Beats mean everything to me. There can be some weak asss lyrics, but if they beat is nice then I will mess with it. Rap can be mellow, can get you hype, can prepare you for war, etc.
Pop on the other hand, I am not so sure. I really mess with older pop stuff, but now a days (just like rap), anyone can jump on a track, and the technology can make them sound nothing like they really are.
i agree with this. im more worried about a beat then lyrics...

I hate all these new "artists" that have been coming out of no where calling thems selves rappers... I like older rap that's about getting shot if your on the wrong block and how hard it was before they made it that's by guys that actually grew up in that so it has a little meaning... This new **** that all these 15 year olds like to call "rap" about going to clubs ' date='drinking cheap tequila, and the worst of all how much money they can waste is horrible! The people that sing it are even worse... Pretty much all of them have zero talent and act like they are all just straight out of the ghetto when we all know damn well they are all mostly from some local white subdivision community lol...
like drake... how the **** can you be a rapper when your a canadian prick who used to be on a show watched by pre-teen girls.

i hate most rap and i only listen to it for the bass

Rap is what I grew up listening to.Now a days I'm more into some rock.I only play rap when I demo to my friends I guess it's all the lows and the boominess.I never been into Drake I'm more into Future,Gucci,and,2 Chainz.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.