What is the true RMS power of this amp?

I was looking at a Boss Audio Phantom PH4.400 amp that claims 4 X 160 watts RMS (Total: 640 watts RMS). When I checked the fuse rating, it was a total of 40 amps, which would only merit an 8 gauge power cable.

I would have thought that a true 640 watts RMS would require at least a 4 gauge cable installed with a 120 amp inline fuse? Besides all this, I've noticed some don't care too much for Boss Audio. What do you think?

Boss Audio is in the category of the lowest of lowest car audio brands. You'd be lucky to get even half of the rated power. And it's gonna be pretty bad as far as sound quality. Next time, spend your money better on quality brands.

I was looking at a Boss Audio Phantom PH4.400 amp that claims 4 X 160 watts RMS (Total: 640 watts RMS). When I checked the fuse rating, it was a total of 40 amps, which would only merit an 8 gauge power cable.
I would have thought that a true 640 watts RMS would require at least a 4 gauge cable installed with a 120 amp inline fuse? Besides all this, I've noticed some don't care too much for Boss Audio. What do you think?
Regardless of powere rating, they have a horrible rep for a reason. You can get a MUCH higher-quality 4-channel amp for the same price (or, more likely, less) in the classifieds on here.

Did you buy the Boss already? I really don't see this being a huge improvement over your head unit power... In fact could make what you have already worse. Sorry. An amp for front speakers should be one of the nicer items in your system. If only because it doesn't cost an arm and a leg to get a good one.

Eclipse at 4 X 120 With 80A fuse! That actually makes more sense. If these Boss guys lie like that, how come they don't get hit up for fraud?

Its all marketing bs, but though eclipse amps dont play around. Love mine

Eclipse at 4 X 120 With 80A fuse! That actually makes more sense. If these Boss guys lie like that, how come they don't get hit up for fraud?
because the company is telling you the peak rating under perfect conditions that will not be met in a car.

I can't find how much you paid for this amp but I just picked up a Planet Audio AC1800.5 for $160 and I am totally happy with it. It is rated at 4 x 200w@2 ohms-1 x 420w@2 ohms and has 3x35a fuses. It is a class AB amp and it seems like it is getting that power. I like to keep my speakers at like 70w RMS so I set my levels to to like 16.75v and my level knob still has what looks like 40% left to turn, which seems about right since I should be getting 110w@4 ohms. I've read some people say that planet audio amps break often, but I got a Squaretrade 3 year warranty on it for $25 so it doesn't really worry me too much. For someone on a budget, these amps are nice. They also sell a 4 channel amp with the same specs for something like $130 I think. I obviously upgraded all my wiring and such as well.

Don't go through what I went through. I tried to do a "budget" setup as well. Unfortunately for my wallet, I have a decent ear for music and had to return and purchase a ton of equipment because every time I brought a budget item I was extremely unsatisfied with the sound. It's not like buying something you see. You can't hide defects and cheapness in sound with a nice outer shell and coat of paint. My goal for my whole system was $250, which was a joke looking back, and I ended up coming in at like $1000. Seriously, if you're someone who like the nuances of all the music and can appreciate the quality as well as the volume, you're going to find everywhere you try to cut corners or go budget is going to affect the sound. Like I thought sound deadener and ground and power wire upgrades were optional upgrades. They're not.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.