What sounds good sealed? Because apparently the Type Rs dont

ArrizX
10+ year member

Scout 800 owner.
I am no definitive expert on the Type R subs (having never used them) but what I see over and over and over from those that use them with good results is a general consensus that the Alpine Type R doesn't sound good sealed. So I would suggest that whatever shop you went to employs a bunch of tools that haven't a clue what they are talking about...

Well, im going to get something sealed in my car. But then I read this, and totally changed my mind. So now my question... What sounds good sealed?

First, would two 10's or two 12'' sound better? Or even two 10'' vs. one 12''. I want it nice and loud, but I gotta have SQ.

Like I said loud, but I dont want the car to shake apart. And its going in the trunk. Whatever, doesnt matter, ill just ramble on. Lol, anyways, some ideas for sealed please. Any also say why, dont just say "XXXbrand FTW'', because I like to know why //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/tongue.gif.6130eb82179565f6db8d26d6001dcd24.gif

type s sounds good sealed i got mine running of 250 watts @ 4 ohms in a 1.5 cf sealed box its really nice for metal/ raggee

good price

great responce

freaking rad sq

it will take abuse too lol

14 mm xmax

looks sexy

sq ftw

I haven't heard a type r sealed, but I'm sure it still would sound good, the only thing is it would have less output compared to ported, right? Almost all SQ oriented subs sound good sealed, ported usually just means more output, however you can still sound good in a ported box depending on box design and install. As long as the sub is not soley designed for spl it should have the ability to sound good sealed.

Well, im going to get something sealed in my car. But then I read this, and totally changed my mind. So now my question... What sounds good sealed?
First, would two 10's or two 12'' sound better? Or even two 10'' vs. one 12''. I want it nice and loud, but I gotta have SQ.

Like I said loud, but I dont want the car to shake apart. And its going in the trunk. Whatever, doesnt matter, ill just ramble on. Lol, anyways, some ideas for sealed please. Any also say why, dont just say "XXXbrand FTW'', because I like to know why //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/tongue.gif.6130eb82179565f6db8d26d6001dcd24.gif

In all likelihood they did not sound good because you did not EQ the subwoofer or used a box that was too small with not enough power, or maybe a box that didn’t work well in any case.

I would invest in some measurement equipment like a dB reader or mic and learn to measure frequency response. I have never owned a type-r, but I bet it would sound great tuned with flat response in the right box. The problem is, no matter what driver you buy, you are still going to potentially have this problem so its best you solve it for the type-r before getting into more expensive equipment.

So, you guys still think that it would/can sound good sealed? So here are a few more quetsions...

two 12 or one 12. Or two 10?

And if I were to get two, would they need to have their own sealed box, or one big sealed one?

Then again, is there anything that could potentially sound better then these, for same price or less. I see someone likes his Type S. Well, looking at the power, I dont think they will be enough for me....... But, I just dont know.

Go Soundstream or go home. A guy right now is selling eight spl10's, a pair of subs in four auctions for a $125 plus shipping. You can't do any better then these. Here's a link to over 40 different people who have used them or any of the Soundstream spl subwoofers. Here it it. When one of the best sq woofer meets a little spl. http://www.carreview.com/cat/car-audio/subwoofers/Soundstream/PRD_3926_1808crx.aspx

idq are goooood sq

re SE's have good sq, well mine do //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Well, im sure thats a great deal and all, but I dont have the money right now //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif
Well keep them in mind. Atleast you should read the reviews.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/cool.gif.3bcaf8f141236c00f8044d07150e34f7.gif

Will do! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

But, because those will be gone. Just from an online retailer, post some links (if you dont mind) to some good subs.

And i have another quesion, lol

How much of a noticable difference is there between like one type r 12 and one type s 12?

Well, I could kinda like to stay within the Type R/S/X/whatever else they make. just because im familiar with them..

Anywayas still unanswered quetsions...kinda

Just tell me this, two 12'' enough, or could I do one 12''? Remember, rap, Ill dynamat because I dont want shaking, and sealed. How do you think those will sound?

No, it has nothing to do with the fact the type-r/s/l/m/n/o/p..abcdefg whatever is good or bad, and its not how will it sound sealed vs how will it sound ported, its more like: How the do you EQ it so it sounds flat. Thats the problem! not the loading configuration of a driver.

You should invest in measurement equipment if you're not happy with the sound of a subwoofer. I think I made a reply about this up there a ways.. perhaps it was unread?

And yes, the soundspliter is a much better driver, but I suspect that has little to do with your problem.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.