What to look for when buying a HU?

Participant count
  • Participant list

deburn

Hi everyone!

I have a 2003 Lexus IS 300 and a few CDs have gotten stuck in the factory unit. I'm thinking of paying someone to extract the CDs and figured it would be a good time to get a new HU

I do have a few things I'd like the new unit to have but I have never ever bought a HU and would appreciate your suggestions on what to look for when comparing specs.

I searched this forum quite a bit, and got some ideas but I didnt come across anyone talking about HD radio. I listen a lot to the radio and I like the choice I get from my HD radio at home (and it's free!). So is there any reason (presumably apart from having a huge music collection) that HD isnt popular on this forum?

Apart from HD, I'd like it to be easy to use (intuitive navigation), reasonably big screen (4 lines?), ability to integrate with my iPhone or at least an iPod and good sound quality of course.

I saw from the poll that Pioneer and Alpine are the most popular by far on this forum so I'm leaning that way, but still open to other suggestions

I know my criteria are pretty basic but what I'm asking is what features should it have (or not have)? My budget is around 500.00 but it would be nice if I could get a good HU for less.

Thanks for your help!

James

bit bur conv, S/N ratio>100db, time correction, xovers, usb,dvd,aux in?? theres a lots of factors involved
Thanks Mile. I know what i want when it comes to the basics (aux in definitly, DVD no, USB nice to have) but zilch about the other stuff like "bit but" -- don't even know what that means!!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

deburn

deburn
Cambridge
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from
deburn