What TV shalt I get?

Dude I hate waiting lol //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

I'm like 95% set on the 5086

whatever you get make sure you get some kind of hd source to really make it shine. and dont forget the pictures and god dang it i think im more anxious then you are LOL

im just waiting for tax returns to buy my new towers and center channel and you dont even know how many hours i spend just imagining i already have them lol

I can't say burn-in is impossible, but with modern plasmas is pretty unlikely, but if you don't want one that's fine- it's your room. 1080p right now is a joke anyway. Basically according to Hometheater magazine if you have a screen smaller than 50" or sit farther than 8 ft away your eye can't resolve all the extra detail anyway. The other part is that only about 20% of the 1080p screens of any type currently on the market will actually accept a 1080p signal. Most take that signal, deinterlace it to 1080i or 720p, and then upconvert it to 1080p. Pretty goddam stupid if you ask me. For games I'd probably lean toward an LCD or DLp, except plasmas just have better black levels, less motion blur, and generally a better picture for less cash, but the burn in issue is something to consider- nobody can really say if it still happens anymore- just a lot of myths and people who heard this or that.

actually DLP's have the best blacks and i dont know how you are comparing the price of DLP's to Plasma. DLP's are more affordable and have a better all around picture.

there's so many different version of DLP, that it really depends on the set

there's 4,6,8 segment colorwheels

1x,2x,4x,6x wheelspeeds

units with seperate red, blue, and green chips

and all sorts of improvements such as darkchip

you'd really have to see the actual set itself, there's good and bad DLP televisions and projectors

and is there even a 1080 native resolution DLP chip yet?

last time i looked (i'll admit it's been a few months) WXGA was the closest TI had gotten, and DLP sets claiming 1080P were actually WXGA chips (which is admittedly very close) but i'd take a true 720P native resolution set over a WXGA native resolution set any day. I personally see very little difference between 720P and 1080i, haven't seen 1080P anywhere other than the blueray demo at best buy, which looked like ass, but i KNOW the set wasn't set up right.

actually DLP's have the best blacks and i dont know how you are comparing the price of DLP's to Plasma. DLP's are more affordable and have a better all around picture.
I disagree with a lot of what you said. CRT's have the best blacks by far,and depending on the TV plasma and Dlp are close, but the Panasonic th42px60u has the lowest black levels Home theater magazine has ever tested out of a flat screen, and the only things better were a few crt's and full-on projectors. Plasmas have also dropped in price to the point they are highly competitive price-wise with Dlp in the most important market segment (42-50") So more affordable isn't really accurate- I agree as you progress above 50" in screen size plasma cannot compete with Dlp in cost per inch. I also disagree that Dlp's have a better picture. They suffer from several of the drawbacks of LCD- screen glare, off-axis color dropoff, sensitive to veiwing height, and some people can see rainbows on color wheel sets (I cannot but my wife can) I really have nothing against Dlps- I nearly bought one but just prefer the viewing angle and better picture quality of the Panasonic plasma over the Sony 50" SXRD set I was comparing it too (and the SXRD was $800 more expensive) Not trying to start a pissing match, I just disagree and this is why.

LCD's and Plasma will burn in, DLP wont
Modern LCD by design cannot burn in, Plasma and Dlp can but it is highly unlikely unless you really make zero effort to avoid it (burn in) Plasmas and LCD's will somtimes have short term image retention- but this is easily reversable and a normal condition. This is what makes LCD's so popular for computer use and video gamers.

alot of people forget that rear projection tv's can ALL burn in, since the screen itself can burn

think of a big screen arcade game with the words "insert coin" burned into the screen itself

There are a few sets that will do a pixel for pixel 1080p input but they are rare and expensive, and I'm not sure if any are Dlp- I know very few 1080p sets even accept a 1080p input.

anyone else think its weird his check is taking to long to clear? dam its almost been 7 days!!!!!

ive deposited 4-5,000 checks and it is usually in, in no more then 3 bussiness days. he money should of been available on monday morning!

It's all available now, just called the bank this morning and it finally cleared.

Probably going to order the Sammy HL-S5086W today, and pick up some cables from Monoprice and some sort of surge supressor/UPS.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

Randy Savage

5,000+ posts
CarAudio.com Veteran
Randy Savage
New York
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date