What was your worst car audio mistake ...

drpeeb
10+ year member

FL
... be it some (dumb) mistake during an install, or whatever, but of course most preferably ... your story of how you burned your car to the ground!!!

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/blow_up.gif.f2a780e8b12ae09e264cb01720b8dca2.gif

Let's hear 'em!!!

Top 5:

Buying a Sony amp/sub/box package from CC for $210 plus $75 for install (first system when I was 15). Dropping my 9835 faceplate and scratching the button. Accidentally touching the power wire to my buddy's amp's heatsink when installing it. Buying CDTs from woofersetc. Spending money on changing my setups before spending money on sound deadening.

Top 5:
Buying a Sony amp/sub/box package from CC for $210 plus $75 for install (first system when I was 15). Dropping my 9835 faceplate and scratching the button. Accidentally touching the power wire to my buddy's amp's heatsink when installing it. Buying CDTs from woofersetc. Spending money on changing my setups before spending money on sound deadening.

x2

Never really done anything too stupid, except getting shocked many many times.

I guess building a box for my bros MB Quart 10s and not having any kind of idea of airspace, when i was 14. Just built a general box out of 5/8" MDF, ended up being like almost 2ft3 per 10. But it worked out pretty decent since he was running a Pyramid amp that put out like 150 watts per sub.

... be it some (dumb) mistake during an install, or whatever, but of course most preferably ... your story of how you burned your car to the ground!!!
//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/blow_up.gif.f2a780e8b12ae09e264cb01720b8dca2.gif

Let's hear 'em!!!
So far my own dumbest one was during my front door speaker swap-out ... Put in a baffle, didn't check the window operation, & now my window rolls down and hits it! No damage, just a pain in the @ss since I gotta open the whole d@mn thing back up and fix it ... and until I do the window can't be safely rolled down.

used a screw on terminal to attach some 2/0 to an alt feeding a bank of batts in the back. and no fusing. set screw backed off and dropped the 2/0 onto the engine. small fire resulted.

I only have 2 stories.

I dropped one of those metal holders that connect to the power wire and touch the fuse in my engine bay and lost it forever.

Making mdf adapters to fit my mli65s in my factory 6x8 holes. Speaker ended up touching the door panel when everything was installed. I got mad and destroyed the adapter and door panel. Took out the mli65 and put back in my infinity.

First system

rampage HU with no memory WTF???? everytime I turned it on/off it started the CD completely over

front fill- lightning audio 4s (off HU)

rear fill- eclipse 6x9, xplod 6.5s WTF???? (off 175x2 performance teknique)

Phoenix Gold Rsd 10 ( off another PT 175x2)

8ga wiring

FTL!

used a screw on terminal to attach some 2/0 to an alt feeding a bank of batts in the back. and no fusing. set screw backed off and dropped the 2/0 onto the engine. small fire resulted.
Ooooops. I knew there was a reason for fuses!

Allowing my friend to install a sony xplod sound system kit in a 97 saab and 2 50 dollar wolfenhagen sub kits in there ass well. But of cores 2 weeks later everything was upgraded. Blown a few fused in my time but lesson well learned. Wiring a sub to 1 ohms to a amp that wasn't 1 ohm stable "that was a error that almost fried the amp but didn't thank god"

My first car and stereo consisted of 2 MTX Roadthunder II's in a bandpass box in the trunk, a 12" Soundstream sealed in the backseat and a JDL (Japanese Dynamic Labs) amp pushing all of it. I had no clue about ohms and rms; I just hooked it all up and ran it for over a year that way.

So far my own dumbest one was during my front door speaker swap-out ... Put in a baffle, didn't check the window operation, & now my window rolls down and hits it! No damage, just a pain in the @ss since I gotta open the whole d@mn thing back up and fix it ... and until I do the window can't be safely rolled down.
LMAO did that 3 weeks ago in my moms honda civic installed a set of arc audio foose addition speakers in the doors now I have to get a spacer ring.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.