What would you go with???

dereklovejoy
10+ year member

I was wondering what you guys would go with in an installation. WOuld you go with a custom look or just a basic speaker enclosure in the trunk. I see those cars that have these custom speaker and amp mounts in the back wich take up the entire trunk and just wondering if they are woth the extra space they take up, i mean im assuming that that is just for looks, and if you really dont care all that much about the looks over performance what would you choose. thanks.

I agree with Ramos. I feel it's up to you if you think that it's worth the extra time and money to have a flashy install. I have never spent the extra time or money to do it. I have always just been creative with what I have to work with and make it look it's best from there.

Fiberglassing a trunk is far from an easy task it will take a LONG time to accomplish the desired effect if your going for flash, a simply fiberglass box for the spare tire well is a very effective way to save massive space though.

Originally posted by Black98sunfireGT Fiberglassing a trunk is far from an easy task it will take a LONG time to accomplish the desired effect if your going for flash, a simply fiberglass box for the spare tire well is a very effective way to save massive space though.
A spare tire well enclosure is also a pretty easy thing to do. Anybody interested in learning how ?

I would like to learn how to make a tire well enclosure. It sounds lit it would be worthe the tyme and money to do it, plus mom wouldn't even know it was there till she heard it.

Jordan

It's pretty simple really.

You are going to need some materials.

1. A couple rolls of masking tape. The beige colored paper tape.

2. Some paste car wax.

3. A sharp utility knife

4. A pair of scissors

5. Fiberglass mat the amount depends on the size of your enclosure. You will need enough to cover three to five layers. Once again depending upon the size of the enclosure. The mat I would suggest is kyntex biaxial. It's a woven combination of mat and cloth. This stuff is great. It saves alot of layup time.

6. Fiberglass resin and catalyst ( hardener ) You will need at least a gallon maybe more.

7. Some 1/4 inch to 1/2 diameter nylon rope.

8. Plastic containers to mix the resin.

9. RUBBER GLOVES are required. You don't know pain until you have tried to scrape dried resin off of skin //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

10. several cheapo paintbrushes. Don't use sponge brushes they fall apart to easy. Buy the variety pack at walmart for like a couple dollars //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

11. OLD CLOTHES //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

12. A fiberglass roller helps a whole lot. It makes it easier to get the bubbles out.

13. Acetone to clean up any spills of resin that might occur

14. Sandpaper

15. Some scrap cardboard for a wetting area

First thing to do is plan. Good planning is key to any sucessful project. Remove all of the carpet in your trunk, and take anything out of it also.

Once everything is removed wipe the tire wel out with some soap and water. And dry it thoroughly. Next take the masking tape and cover the entire area inside the tire well. Make sure to overlap the tape a half inch or so. This will keep the resin from sneaking past the tape. Also tape off 7 or 8 inches of the surrounding area of the trunk floor. This will keep you from scraping the resin off the floor later. Once you have everything taped up. Take the car wax paste and coat the tape. Apply it pretty liberally. This will let you pull the fiberglass out of the wheel well. Allow the wax to dry completely before continueing. Once everything is completely dry. It's time to start the real fun //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif Make sure your work area is well ventilated. You might want a mask like a respirator to work with the fiberglass

the fumes are a little rough at first. But after a while they don't bother you //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif Okay first thing to do is cut the fiberglass mat in strips to make it easier to handle. I cut mine five or six inches wide. Cut a bunch of the strips so you don't have to stop in the middle. I like to be able to do one whole layer at a time. Next take your scrap cardboard and put it some where that is easily accessible but not in the way. it will need to have some support. I usually put mine on top of a large trash can. This is where you will "wet" the fiberglass mat. Grab a brush and a pair of gloves

Put the gloves on before you go any further. Next get one of the plastic containers. Your going to use this to hold the resin you are about to mix. If you have nerver done any glassing before start out with a small amount of resin. Mix according to the instructions included with the resin. Once you have it mixed you can start wetting the mat. Take a piece of the mat and lay it on the cardboard. Use the brush to apply the resin on the mat. Once you have the mat saturated lay it in the wheel well and press it down firmly. Wet another piece of mat and do the same. But overlap the edges just a little. Keep doing this over and over until you have cover the whole wheel well and an inch or to on the outside edge of the wheel well. You can always trim the excess later. Leave it in the tire well and let the resin dry completely. Once it is dry completely, repeat this process with another layer. Then let it dry completely. If you use the suggested kyntex you will be able to remove the fiberglass tub now. If you use regular mat you may need to do another layer before you remove the tub. I'm going to stop there tonight. I need some sleep //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif I'll continue tomorrow.

If anyone needs help hit me up an e-mail at basswnnbe@hotmail.com I have built one and have built kick's as well so i have got fiberglass experience and am always willing to lend a hand. Also, I noticed you failed to mention the use of a frame which to lay the fiberglass against on the upper part of the well, the fiberglass needs something to bond too. And a note about the sponge brushes, if you do use them(dont) and make your resin to "hot" (resin/hardener mixture) this will cause the sponge to begin melting.

Originally posted by Black98sunfireGT If anyone needs help hit me up an e-mail at basswnnbe@hotmail.com I have built one and have built kick's as well so i have got fiberglass experience and am always willing to lend a hand. Also, I noticed you failed to mention the use of a frame which to lay the fiberglass against on the upper part of the well, the fiberglass needs something to bond too. And a note about the sponge brushes, if you do use them(dont) and make your resin to "hot" (resin/hardener mixture) this will cause the sponge to begin melting.
I was getting there //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif THe aforementioned frame will give you something to mount the baffle to. I usually use 2" x 2" wood for the frame. Simply build a square just a hair larger than the tire well. Lay this on the outside edge of the tire well. And use some mat and glass this to the fiberglass tub you have already made. Once the resin is completely dry you can remove the whole thing. Now for the rope. The best thing to add strength to any enclosure is bracing. That is what the rope is for. This form of bracing is called ribbing. What you do is soak the rope in some resin. Then apply it to the inside of the enclosure. A piece every 6" will work great. You can cut it to the length of the inside of the enclosure. While this is drying you can cut the baffle out of 3/4" MDF. This shoud be the same size as the frame you built previously. Once the the glass has dried completely you can check the enclosure for stiffness. There should be next to no flexing. If it still bends to easily. Add another layer or two of mat to the inside of the enclosure. TO mount this monster most spare tire wells have a mounting bolt in the center. TO take advantage of this for mounting purposes. Set the enclosure back in the well and mark the spot where the bolt is. Take some resin and glass a large washer in the spot you marked. This will relieve some of the stress so the fiberglass won't crack.

As far as finishing the baffle you can do anything you would like to it. Paint it, Vinyl, Carpet, pretty much any thing you want. Any questions let me know. I know it's kind of vague. But feel free to ask questions //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

dereklovejoy

10+ year member
dereklovejoy
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from
RangerMan