what x-over do i need

Participant count
  • Participant list
i thought these horns are for only highs vocal range basically i dont want any bass from it period just vocals, i will have mids for midbass and a 12" sub
youre right, you can use the high pass filter to block out the bass

thats what i did, i also was using an xploid

the xplod only has a low pass and a setting for just off

so i can set it to off but it will send all freqs to it so i need a xover what is a cheap inline xover to block out the low freqs i want only vocals

no mids are on a diff amp

its not active i am gonna use the amp for the seleniums it does 500@4ohms bridged so i was gonna bridge the amp and run about 300rms to them together and then i am gonna have a set of 6x8's for my mids running off the radio and a 12" sub running on another small amp since the sub is only rated for 125rms

its not active i am gonna use the amp for the seleniums it does 500@4ohms bridged so i was gonna bridge the amp and run about 300rms to them together and then i am gonna have a set of 6x8's for my mids running off the radio and a 12" sub running on another small amp since the sub is only rated for 125rms
Yeah, that's an active set up. A weird one, but active none the less. I think you mean your 6x8's will run full range off the HU, subs doing the sub thing and the horns adding in extra highs.

You can just use a cheap passive bass blocker.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=266-220

Specifications: *Power handling: 150 watts (w/xover, 500 Hz, 12 dB/octave)/200 watts (w/xover, 1,000 Hz, 12 dB/octave) *VCdia: 2" *Impedance: 8 ohms *Frequency response: 400-9,000 Hz (no crossover)

thats the spec on the seleniums i am going to have two of them bridged to the amp so it equals a 4ohm load so do i put a blocker for each selenium or one right by the amp

also wats the lowest xover i could go with because it says 150rms with a 500hz xover and i want to play that low i guess or however low vocal range is to actually hear the voices and not just the really high notes like tweets play on a comp setup

Specifications: *Power handling: 150 watts (w/xover, 500 Hz, 12 dB/octave)/200 watts (w/xover, 1,000 Hz, 12 dB/octave) *VCdia: 2" *Impedance: 8 ohms *Frequency response: 400-9,000 Hz (no crossover)
thats the spec on the seleniums i am going to have two of them bridged to the amp so it equals a 4ohm load so do i put a blocker for each selenium or one right by the amp

also wats the lowest xover i could go with because it says 150rms with a 500hz xover and i want to play that low i guess or however low vocal range is to actually hear the voices and not just the really high notes like tweets play on a comp setup

You could go as low as 500 if you don't crank them up. 630 or 1 khz will let you turn them up much louder. It's the lows that will limit how loud they can get before they distort. Lows will damage them quickly.

The human voice is mostly from 3,500 Hz down to about 100 hz (above 3,500 is mostly siblance and subtle accents), so there is no way that horns alone can play all of the vocal range. Without a woofer under those horns voices will sound thin, tinny and weak with an ear pearcing high frequency shrillness to them.

If you slapped a cheap 10" woofer in a simple box under each horn then it would sound much better, and you would be much happier.

Another option you might have is; depending on what subs your using, you may be able to raise the x-over point of the subs up into the midbass frequency range to run them as woofers and reach the lowest point of the horns. So if the subs can play upto 400-500 hz (many can, some can't) then you can use the subs and horns as a bi-amped system.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.