When ur just like...Wtf...??

Participant count
  • Participant list

Only The Best
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
texas
So I'm pretty sure everyone has been in this situation. Something is popping when you turn it on, amp goes into protect, something is overheating, fuses keep blowing even after you think you've checked EVERYTHING, So you get to the point when you just stare at your head unit going... what....the fuuuuuuuck?!

I'll share mine with yall. First off I had stripped my whole Camaro and sound deadened it and put an alarm in along with a 4 channel amp and a t1000-1bd powering 2 alpine type r's in a ported box (yeah I know it beats the old car to **** and I'm going to take it out). Initially after installing the alarm and the head unit and the amp for the door speakers everything worked great. No ground noise or any problems. After I installed the second amp for the subs **** started to go down. The subs were whining, something started causing the door speakers to pop and push the amp into protect and for some god for-saken reason the fuse connected to my alarm kept blowing. (keep in mind I found all of this out after at least 15 hours of troubleshooting). So I was driving down the road and I rolled down my window and my speakers popped and the amp went into protect and I was like WTF?! so I took the speaker out to see if anything was hitting. Nothing. (Just a coincidence) It happens again the next day WHILE I WAS ROLLING MY WINDOW DOWN. So same procedure. Nothing. Took out the other door speaker, BAM! the terminals were grounding out on metal door. First problem down.

Then to find out why my head unit wasn't working... After bothering "MyLows" for technical help which was much appreciated by the way. The head unit wasn't powering up and my alarm wasn't working. I pulled the fuses out and looked at them to see if they were blown. None of them LOOKED like they were blown (Note to everyone out there- CHECK IT WITH A METER) so I was content and took out my deck and powered it from the better to see if it was shot, which it wasn't and it powered up and everything was good. Now I'm sitting there like....wtf... So I thought about it then checked the fuses and BAM! there it was.

All in all, there are always problems that we all seem to run into that may seem to be impossible to fix. It's not. We just have to be smarter. Take the small steps. and most importantly HAVE PATIENCE!!!!

Please share your....WTF moments with me. If you've done car audio, I know DAMMMMMM well that each of you have your own story. Thanks for reading.

Wired up a $750 amp backwards once. Positive and ground switched.

My life.

Luckily, there was a protection circuit and it didn't damage anything. Just threw a ton of sparks at the ground point when I tried to connect my battery back to ground. Worked fine.

My installs are relatively simple as far as wiring (at least to me), so I don't have to do a lot of troubleshooting. I don't have all sorts of weird problems like other people on here.

I tear everything out and put new in. Only factory wire I am using for audio right now is the one from my ignition switch.

when people write life long stories on a forum, when it couldve been a few sentences. that being said.

My last install my Positive wire had a SINGLE strand literally a SINGLE strand of wire that was touching my remote wire and my amp wouldnt shut off. took me a whole day of ripping out my carpet and headunit to look at the amp closely and see that stupid single strand.

Did the same thing with mine, put the positive in the ground the ground in the positive. Luckily enough I had the protection circuit also and it didn't damange anything. I got lucky as balls.

Couldn't figure out why I had no power through my distribution block... Didn't realize I bought a fused one until I took it all out and pulled the **** thing apart. Kicked myself a few times for that

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

Only The Best

10+ year member
CarAudio.com Elite
Only The Best
texas
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date