which sound quality components to aim for?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Nighthawk1192
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Looking for either a 2 way or a 3 way set of component speakers for the front stage. I would like speakers that are very warm to the ears though that is subjective to each user. The ones I have been looking at are:

RE Audio XXX6.5C 6.5" XXX Component Car Speakers

Precision Power PPI P65c3 6.5" 3-Way Component Speakers w/ AMT Tweeter

I've heard both sound really good but I haven't had the chance to hear them in person. What do you guys think? Any other recommended sets out there? My budget is $300 at the most. I'm not looking at buying right now but in a few months.

Have you considered how you will fit the speakers? These are very different options. The RE set has a massive woofer that's very deep. It won't fit a lot of vehicles.

I have a 2015 scion tc which comes with very deep spaces for the speakers. If they won't fit I can make a spacer for them. It also has a 3-way stock speaker set so fitting in 3-way speakers won't be an issue

the challenge with a 3 way set is the mid shares airspace with the woofer - ideal to have a small enclosure on the mid and coordinate the size with the crossover point.

a 2-way can still sound good in the new Scion. A buddy has the JL ZR-650 in his newer tC with a JL HD amp and JBL MS-8. the MS-8 made a big difference even with high end gear.

I would not take that great 3-way speaker setup and put in a 2-way, at least not the RE XXX set. I'm enjoying my 3-way system too much, but yes, a good 2-way can sound great as well. If the budget is set at a cap of $300 and you only want to consider those two systems my vote is the Precision Power set.

Would you guys recommend the jbl ms8? The price tag seems a bit steep. Also the only 3 way set I know from cdt is the classic. Would those perform better than the PPI 3 way? My current speakers are the infinity ref 6500cx and those seem to lack midbass quite a bit so I'm looking for something better than those

---------- Post added at 09:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:34 PM ----------

Also would like to say I appreciate these responses. This will be my first real build so I would like to do it right

I would keep the factory head unit and get the processor, put the time in to tune it properly and it works wonders. However your midbass problem is only addressed through sound deadening the doors along with better drivers and good power, crossover points and EQs might help a bit too. A DSP sets the stage to custom tune everything to your preference.

@trumpet is a good guy and knowledgeable on the CDT line - especially since he runs a 3-way himself and has experimented with various drivers.

certainly, treating the doors is first and you may likely be happier after that effort.

the MS-8 is expensive but effective and includes an 8 channel amp. granted, the amp isn't as good as getting larger external amplification but you'd be happier with it than the stock amp. it makes a great first step towards a much larger system.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.