Which sub/enclosure/amp? $500 max

jbk
10+ year member

First post here! I'm looking to buy a single 12" sub for my Jeep Patriot. I've been doing some research and decided to get a sealed box and a 500watt amp/sub. Only thing is I have no idea what sub to get. My budget is $500 for the sub, enclosure, amp and all the install stuff. At the local 6th avenue electronics (closest thing to a real shop around here) they pointed me at a rockford p3 which sounded really good but was a little out of my price range ($250 w/ a ported enclosure). So what I'm asking is what should I be looking for in a sub, amp and enclosure that is in my price range? I'm also trying to keep it as small as possible, so a shallow mount could be a possibility.

go for a JL 12w6v2, alpine amp or kenwood, look around for an amp in your price range. the subwoofer is a great sound quality subwoofer, but don't get me wrong there are plenty of subs better than JL.

go for a JL 12w6v2, alpine amp or kenwood, look around for an amp in your price range. the subwoofer is a great sound quality subwoofer, but don't get me wrong there are plenty of subs better than JL.
Do not listen to this guy ^^^ JL is way overpriced and LOL at his mainstream brand choice. It's funny someone lists a tight budget and gets recommended JL. I don't know research you did that told you to get a 500rms sub/amp? Get the best for your money..

Get a Fi SSD ($180) and run it off a Audioque 1200D ($250). Make the box yourself ($30) and the wiring will only cost you about $40.

I don't know research you did that told you to get a 500rms sub/amp? Get the best for your money..
Get a Fi SSD ($180) and run it off a Audioque 1200D ($250). Make the box yourself ($30) and the wiring will only cost you about $40.
Is $500 not a reasonable price point for the setup I'm looking for? From the store I went to I was told to look for a higher watt single or lower watt double setup, and I decided to go for the higher single to save space. Was I steered in the wrong direction?

Is $500 not a reasonable price point for the setup I'm looking for? From the store I went to I was told to look for a higher watt single or lower watt double setup, and I decided to go for the higher single to save space. Was I steered in the wrong direction?
$500 is fine for a substage. That amp I listed is $250, vs mainstream amps that are around $200 for half the power output. I'd go ported for sure for a single sub setup though.

Alright, also what is your opinion on shallow mounts? I understand the volume of the box is the same, but the smaller depth seems better to save some space. On ebay there is a p3 shallow mount in a box for $180, which seems like a good deal. Also, just to clarify I'm looking for 500 watts RMS not peak.

Alright, also what is your opinion on shallow mounts? I understand the volume of the box is the same, but the smaller depth seems better to save some space. On ebay there is a p3 shallow mount in a box for $180, which seems like a good deal. Also, just to clarify I'm looking for 500 watts RMS not peak.
I said it correctly, the AQ is 1200 RMS vs other 500 RMS amps. The only shallow sub I'd look into is Alpine's new Type R. 4 inch coil with neo magnets and a good xmax, but it's wayyy out of your price range. I've heard multiple shallow subs, not one of them has been loud or sounded good. I'd go with the setup I listed above.

500w is a good range, i just got a hifonics off here in the classifieds thatll do 1000rms for $105, always pick a speaker for the amp not amp for speaker so thats step one, step 2 order a wiring kit from knukoncepts you can get the exact wire you need for around $60-80, after you get your sub you can get a custom box at your local shop, should be around $100 depending on the shop or you can order a nice pre-fab one for about the same price. Find a nice low power 12" off here if you wana save money cus shops in my area are known to sell things for double retail. you cant really go wrong with an alpine type-r or something in that range.

The nice thing about going with the audioque 1200 you would have head room if you ever wanted to upgrade your woofer to something bigger.

Would you be able to build an enclosure yourself? that would be recommended if you're on a budget.

For wire I suggest knukonceptz excellent quality and price.

@Burton, you think I should pick out the amp before choosing the sub?

After doing some measurements I think a 10" is more realistic, so that's what I'm going for now. Still 500watt rms though.

I'll probably go for an audiopipe amp as they seem really well priced for what you get. Also there are 2 10" rockford punch HE's on my local CL for $110. Worth it? I would just sell one off..

HE's are decent im not exactly sure what there rated, are the dual 2ohm or 4 ohm? your gona want a dual 2 ohm for that amp and wire it down to a 1 ohm load, but yes if youll wana buy a sub to match your amp that way you know exactly how much power youve got to go with and ohm configuration and buy a sub based ont that, audiopipes are nice for the price.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.