Who here is a fan of sealed boxes?

I prefer sealed boxes at the moment, but have not personally owned a ported one. Those that I've heard, I've liked, just not willing to make the investment right now.

I prefer sealed boxes at the moment, but have not personally owned a ported one. Those that I've heard, I've liked, just not willing to make the investment right now.
The box may cost more to build, but it's actually more expensive to get a sealed box to give the low Hz response a ported can. You need a better subwoofer and more power to reach what a ported can do on much less power and a less quality subwoofer, but the sealed sounds so much cleaner //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Seriously, if you ever have the opportunity, try out an IB setup or try using a sealed sub with either a linkwitz transform or EQ set to mimic a linkwitz transform. They'll both change the way you think about extremely low bass. The linkwitz transform requires a ton of power and a subwoofer with high thermal power handling, but it delivers.
Ported and enclosures bandpass will always be the best value in terms of db/dollar, but sealed and IB have their benefits.
Links?

I like large ported, then EQ the bottom end down. Aside from the space it takes, it is an exceedingly awesome approach.
Im getting to where I tend to agree, at least for a daily listening system. Build a system that overpowers, then EQ it to tame it down and smooth it out.

first things first...

sq isnt subjective. if your setup reproduces the material correctly, you have sq. if it doesnt, you dont

sq isnt... "well, i like how it sounds, so it must have good sq"

and i like sealed setups. dont get me wrong, i ran my RE HC ported off 1200 watts, in 3.6, tuned to 29hz, it was neat but for a daily driver who actually likes music, i prefer sealed

put your sub in around 1 cube and it will sound a lot better. might not be enough output for you but you can always add another sub and more power

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.