Who is a real true SQ devotee and what does it mean to you?

What does SQ car audio mean to you

• Building the biggest substage you can afford then figuring out what front stage can 'keep up' later

Votes: 11 19.6%
  • Start with a plan, engineer the most balanced system possible so tuning doesn't become a crutch.

Votes: 29 51.8%
  • Starting with the front stage and then incorporating a nice, loud substage

Votes: 10 17.9%
  • Subs are a necessary evil that are useful but present tuning problems. Do just enough, but no more.

Votes: 6 10.7%

• Total voters

eharri3
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
philly
Just wondering. I see tons of threads about SQ. I count only a few threads about lifelike sound and smooth, even frequency response but most of them are about someone starting an SQ setup with a 2000 watt or so substage and then wanting to know what front speakers will 'keep up.' Does the general public know there is more to this hobby than 'THUMP, THUMP, THUMP?'

here, you wont get many that care about it. go over to diy and there you will get people that actually care about the music and not blowing their trunk lid off.

generally speaking to care about SQ you need deep pockets... youre just not going to find that in an environment of mostly 16-25 yr olds..... or if you do have a person with deep pockets in that category, like you said, its used to buy a 3k watt mono amp and some 18's....

here, you wont get many that care about it. go over to diy and there you will get people that actually care about the music and not blowing their trunk lid off.
generally speaking to care about SQ you need deep pockets... youre just not going to find that in an environment of mostly 16-25 yr olds..... or if you do have a person with deep pockets in that category, like you said, its used to buy a 3k watt mono amp and some 18's....
OK, that's fine, but then why call what you're doing SQ. I know there's tons of bassheads here, that's fine, I like to read up on that too. What confounds me is people who are looking for advice on SQ builds who already have big substages but nothing up front and just want to find something that won't get drowned out by the bass. Or who already have a nice detailed plan and a shopping list for subs because they've done all the research they could on that, but they haven't figured out the first thing about components yet.

Everything is relative, as people grow into the hobby they learn more and try more things. Start with simple yet drastic improvements people learn and enjoy their systems more.

After I went to a MECA show I saw and heard some REAL SQ cars, "David Edwards (car wasnt running) and Ramos's car it was simply amazing. I really loved the way their music sounded but it didn't have enough bass for the rap/hip-hop stuff. Sounded amazing on everything else though. Since I do listen to 50% rap I have a loud substage but I started putting more effort into my front stage so when im listening to rock or something with no bass to drown out everything it sounds awesome. Im running Tempo6's in the front with 150rms each and 2 12inch SA 12's. Im really happy with the way it sounds ut eventually will do much more sound-deadening on the doors to get more out of the speakers.

I'm only going to have about 400ish watts on tap for my two IB 12s. I wouldve done just one 15, but didn't have the height for the baffle to be strong enough. I wanted to go 3-way up front, but prefer the simple 2-way/1 amp solutions to make tuning easier at my level of skill. Plus if I'm satisfied, why bother make more work and spend more?

i really dont care bout SQ just want some good subs and allot of power to beat down the block.
And that's fine too. I like boom for the right songs and I drool at monster substage builds too. I hope nobody gets the impression I can't dig some good SPL with the right songs because I do. I just get confused when people buy humongous subs and save meager leftover resources for front speakers and call it SQ. The same as it would confuse me if somebody went 3 way active with a high end head unit, custom install with precision aimed drivers, a separate processor, time alignment, RTA tuning, and one 8 in a sealed box in the rear, and said they were trying for SPL.

I'm trying to make my stereo loud and clean sounding. I know it wont win any sq comps, but it doesn't really matter to me.

This is what I will have. I have it, but don't have it in my car.

880prs

kicker kx1200.1

mb quart dsc4125

ID OEM mids

Morel Tweets

125 sq ft Raammat.

90 sq ft Luxury Liner Pro.

4 12" Tidal audio subs sealed. (ID OEMS)

I'll probbaly keep upgrading as I go along too. Definately getting nicer amps when I get the money.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...

About this thread

eharri3

10+ year member
CarAudio.com Elite
eharri3
philly
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies