Who screws down their subwoofer?

dakayus
10+ year member

LA
Hi guys so I had everything set up, then i stuck my subwoofer in my car then noticed my trunk is uneven and the sub fell over when i gave it a VERY light maybe 5 lb push. Then i removed the carpet to notice the thin particle board was bent pretty badly. My trunk is very uneven so I threw in a 3/4 mdf board and WOW what a pain. I had to get it from home depot in a 4.5 by 8 ft slab and man those things are heavy. Anyways now my trunk is all leveled off and everything, would thinks it's necessary to bolt the sub down? I have a 26lb subwoofer mounted in a 3/4 mdf for a 1 cf box with a 10lb amp (i'm guess, it's JBL GTO752) that's mounted on the back of the box. So for a grand total of 40-50lb's. I made the center of gravity lower by putting it on the back of the box as opposed to the top so hopefully it won't topple over or move much.

Sorry for the long post, but do you think I need to go buy some l bars and screw it down?

Hi guys so I had everything set up, then i stuck my subwoofer in my car then noticed my trunk is uneven and the sub fell over when i gave it a VERY light maybe 5 lb push. Then i removed the carpet to notice the thin particle board was bent pretty badly. My trunk is very uneven so I threw in a 3/4 mdf board and WOW what a pain. I had to get it from home depot in a 4.5 by 8 ft slab and man those things are heavy. Anyways now my trunk is all leveled off and everything, would thinks it's necessary to bolt the sub down? I have a 26lb subwoofer mounted in a 3/4 mdf for a 1 cf box with a 10lb amp (i'm guess, it's JBL GTO752) that's mounted on the back of the box. So for a grand total of 40-50lb's. I made the center of gravity lower by putting it on the back of the box as opposed to the top so hopefully it won't topple over or move much. Sorry for the long post, but do you think I need to go buy some l bars and screw it down?
I would bolt everything you can down

yes- for 2 extremely important reasons- if you bolt it down, thieves cant jack it as easy, and if you ever get into a car accident it wont be a 50-65 projectile lookin to decapitate you

Neither of my amps nor the sub box are bolted down yet... Then again I don't drive it right now //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

LOL **** I was just at home depot and I thought about buying them, but then I was holding a 60lb slab of mdf and thought **** I can't be browsing for some brackets.

i would

i made some L brackets for the top and bottom. cant tip, cant slide, suckers going no where

if you're too lazy to bolt the box down (which you should do), you can always use velcro. Velcro doesnt' help with theives stealing ur stuff, but they usually keep the sub in place and from sliding around

i like to see velcro passing insurance claims or helping in an accident.

IF you don't bolt it down, then you apparently do not care if it gets stolen or damaged. that's basically it.

Mine isnt bolted down yet
I know it should be but I figure its kind of pointless to bolt it down to the false floor
Not if the false floor is securely fastened to the vehicle, like it should be.
Every time one of these threads pops up, Im amazed how many people are too lazy to bolt their subs in place, and how many excuses they find to think they are better off anyway. You guys spend big bucks on your systems, rant and rave about install being key, then wont even go so far as to screw the stupid enclosure down. Pretty pathetic really.

Not if the false floor is securely fastened to the vehicle, like it should be.
Every time one of these threads pops up, Im amazed how many people are too lazy to bolt their subs in place, and how many excuses they find to think they are better off anyway. You guys spend big bucks on your systems, rant and rave about install being key, then wont even go so far as to screw the stupid enclosure down. Pretty pathetic really.
exactly...........

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.