Why all the hate on W7's?

I don't think anyone doubts they are great drivers. It's just all the people who think they're the end-all be-all of subwoofers. There are too many companies that make really nice equipment, and with the price of the W7, and the fact that they're 3ohm, most people go elsewhere.

It seems like they are the benchmark for high end subs. A point of comparison. So why do they get crap all the time? Is it just because of the price?
I simply dont like their sound- sound too fat for my tastes. Outside of that, outputwise and designwise they are a very good SQL woofer, and obviously one heck of a linear woofer.

I think they get crap because for what the woofer does(get loud and sound good), its comparatively achieved by many other cheaper, non-mainstream alternatives. So yes IMO its because of the price.

I simply dont like their sound- sound too fat for my tastes. Outside of that, outputwise and designwise they are a very good SQL woofer, and obviously one heck of a linear woofer.
I think they get crap because for what the woofer does(get loud and sound good), its comparatively achieved by many other cheaper, non-mainstream alternatives. So yes IMO its because of the price.
I agree.

Because of how they are designed and weight problems, I don't think they are able to sound as good as other JL subs. They don't have the sq of the W6's, and for the price they should sound great and hit hard. They do hit hard, but just don't sound good enough doing it. That is why I find a lot of people aren't a fan.

and because sooo many people run them just cause they are JL, and they are JL's Top end sub...and THOSE PEOPLE dont know about other great subs that arent mainstream....Ex...Adire, DD, RE, SS, and the list goes on...

Because people are stupid. I see a lot of people on these forums that go through all the internet woofers that are supposedly as good or better than the W7, and then end up with the W7 because quite frankly, the internet woofers just aren't as good.

Mainstream or not and price aside they are amazing subs.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.