Why do so many shops **** at tuning?

eharri3
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
philly
Best Buy just put in my new sub amp. Sub volume on the HU ended up at less than max when they were done. Bass boost on the amp was at 6db. Gain was too high.

Lest anybody assume this is what you get when you cheap out and let a chain store do it, last time I had my mid/high amp installed by a high end shop that carries Audison, Image Dynamics, Pioneer Premier, and higher end eclipse stuff, a shop that charges ALOT of money for equipment and install. High pass on door speakers ended up at 47HZ, front gains were too high, again I had to change most of it later.

But in general I've been to a few shops that do good wiring/fabbing etc... However, I'm still looking for this super high-tech install place that does everything by the book, sets gains by some other method than cranking whatever I have on my IPOD and then doing it by ear, maybe even asks me questions like 'what's the loudest you ever like to crank it?' and 'Should we adjust assuming you use boost or adjust assuming you try to leave your EQ flat?'

Anybody else get this impression that there's tons of shop that can do wiring/install/fabbing but you have to spend most of your time re-tuning everything? Frustrating really... Don't have time to rip my car apart and I hate dealing with electrical stuff so I have to go to these places but then they look at me like the know-it-all a-hole customer if I try to tell them where I want the settings so I have to take the time to change it all when I get home.

personally I would NEVER trust someone else to tune my stuff. Besides it all needs to be set up to please MY ears, and only I can do that...
lies. you know i do all the tuneing for you. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crazy.gif.c13912c32de98515d3142759a824dae7.gif

local shop here tuned my freinds stuff for free when he got his comps installed they tuned that and his sub amp, and did it right.

local shop here tuned my freinds stuff for free when he got his comps installed they tuned that and his sub amp, and did it right.
there are car audio shops with decent guys working there. it's just hit or miss.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.