Why don't more brands make head units?

Participant count
  • Participant list
Because they're all the same.

jk, probably because there is a lot of research involved in making a GOOD headunit.

There are tons of headunit brands out there. You probably haven't heard of most of them because, well, they're trash. The countless billions that major companies spend and build upon can't just be remade by an entrepreneur like sundown or DC. You really need millions if not billions of dollars to start making a headunit that is worth selling.

There is too much competition too. How can a start up company really **** with brand like Alpine, Pioneer, and Kenwood who are pretty much the top 3 period. It is so hard for a company to break into the top especially if they have made 1 bad unit. Take a look at JVC. They have been around for a while and make kick ass units but they are considered low end because they cant touch the big 3. I have a 2K10 JVC on my kitchen table ill be using. Also like said, it takes so much money to make one, much less make one different than all the other companies.

I guarentee you if Sundown tried to make headunits the company would go under in less that 6 months. 1 Forum cant keep a company around and unless Sundown went mainstream years before coming out with the headunit to prove quality, then i doubt they would last.

There is too much competition too. How can a start up company really **** with brand like Alpine, Pioneer, and Kenwood who are pretty much the top 3 period. It is so hard for a company to break into the top especially if they have made 1 bad unit. Take a look at JVC. They have been around for a while and make kick ass units but they are considered low end because they cant touch the big 3. I have a 2K10 JVC on my kitchen table ill be using. Also like said, it takes so much money to make one, much less make one different than all the other companies.
Isn't JVC owned by Kenwood now? Besides, Kenwood has pretty much gone downhill as far as quality goes. They still make good head units. They used to make good amps and speakers, but their new stuff is mostly crap and overrated. I don't think they ever made good subs?

Isn't JVC owned by Kenwood now? Besides, Kenwood has pretty much gone downhill as far as quality goes. They still make good head units. They used to make good amps and speakers, but their new stuff is mostly crap and overrated. I don't think they ever made good subs?
Kenwood made amazing subs mid 90's. Im not sure but i know JVC kicks ass. This is what happens when companies commericalize. Thats why i hate Kicker. Kenwood will be in that league soon enough. They cut costs to maximize profits which is ok until you get to the extent where quality suffers. Sometimes they do that just to stay alive though.

I guarentee you if Sundown tried to make headunits the company would go under in less that 6 months. 1 Forum cant keep a company around and unless Sundown went mainstream years before coming out with the headunit to prove quality, then i doubt they would last.

your guarantee means dooky. i dont think they will go under, all they need to do is make the same amount as they do amps, alot of sundown amp owners will buy a headunitt in a heartbeat.

your guarantee means dooky. i dont think they will go under, all they need to do is make the same amount as they do amps, alot of sundown amp owners will buy a headunitt in a heartbeat.
lulz

Yes, the few hundred or maybe a thousand people who have previously bought Sundown will all buy Sundown HUs, and then Sundown will magically stay afloat. lulz again.

So you would be willing to put your trust into a completely new product by a company that might not have put any money into R&D at all. Sundown cant afford to make headunits. Period. Sundown is top quality but 1 bad headunit can bankrupt a company. You are putting a lot of faith into a companies name instead of experience.

So you would be willing to put your trust into a completely new product by a company that might not have put any money into R&D at all. Sundown cant afford to make headunits. Period. Sundown is top quality but 1 bad headunit can bankrupt a company. You are putting a lot of faith into a companies name instead of experience.
Why doesn't RF make HUs anymore?

Because most brands that make audio products in general ****. Long list of sorry companys that make even bigger pos hus

Power Acoustik

SPL

Ferinheiht (sp)

Boss

Sound Storm

Legacy

Pyle

Pyramid

Naxa

How many great brands out there would really make a great hu worth buying over whats already available?!?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.