Will I Be OK with 8 Gauge?

CTGT2005
10+ year member

CT
I wired my girlfriends's car some time ago with Knukonceptz 8 Gauge wire, fused 8" from the battery to a small 2 channel amp to power her subwoofer in the trunk. Right now with the 20A or so peak draw from the amp, the 8 gauge is perfectly adequate. I'm looking to add on an addition 4 channel amp that theoretically can draw another 60A, which the combination of the two on a single run of 8Ga wire puts me over the reccomended threshold.

Question: If I keep a 50A-60A fuse on the 8Gauge wire and she is responsible with the volume, will it be ok? Assuming the fuse does not blow. Or should I run a second length of 8 Gauge.

Thanks

The thing is, I probably have some extra 8 gauge laying around, which is my reason for asking. Is there any advantage to running 4 gauge to a distribution block then splitting it versus two seperate runs of 8?

The thing is, I probably have some extra 8 gauge laying around, which is my reason for asking. Is there any advantage to running 4 gauge to a distribution block then splitting it versus two seperate runs of 8?
If you already have some 8 gauge laying around you can use it. But you'd need to fuse it close to the battery also.

Aesthetics, maybe? Fuse it and secure it properly and it's the same end result for less cash.

the 2nd run 0f 8awg would be fine, actually. asthetics would be the reason i would change that. here's the benefits:

1: 2 runs of 60a=120a

2: cable sizes by about a factor of 4 numbers doubling iirc, or about 25% per single digit, either way, in this case, it would have close to the same circular mills as a single run of 2awg.

3: install. 2 runs of skinny 8awg is easier to pass through grommets and under carpet/trim effectively.

cons: someone may "read a book by the cover" and view it as cheap. and may need an extra connector/fuse holder.

good deal on that 4awg though, and it will do what you want.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.