will i see more gain from batteries or a bigger amp?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Lil Poot
5,000+ posts

you sturrin at me brah?
Wichita KS
i'm wanting to put more power on my 18s. my memphis 4k obviously pulls more current than my alternator can supply, and during bass heavy songs it will drop my voltage even while cruising at 2100rpm on the freeway. if i had more current on hand, i know the coils will take more power, and i'm pretty sure the memphis has got more on tap. 3 134ah batteries plus a 240amp alt seems like a pretty stout electrical, all my grounds are good, with triple 1/0 runs connecting everything. from what i understand, dual alts aren't an option on explorers.

so, the question is, what would be likely to give me greater output gains, adding more batteries, or buying an efficient 6-7kw amp and being careful not to drop the voltage for too long? would one be better than the other for daily, jamming music loud as hell?

Going to a 6-7k amp you are going to still be pulling the same amount of power from the alt/batts as you would be from the memphis. You would just be able to pull more if you needed to. 4k watts is the same as 4k watts on the new amp, but with the new amp you have the ability to go to a higher wattage thus drawing more power. You need bigger/more batteries to be able to reduce voltage drop. A larger amp will do nothing unless you have the power to back it up. Go for both //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.