will running my head units internal amp to 2 ohm speakers destroy it?

Participant count
  • Participant list

phatcat600
10+ year member

yeah my name is stupid
I installed my aftermarket HU in my Grand Price with Bose expecting to replace all of the speakers to match the right load but the cheap JBL GTO's I bought for the doors sounded horrible so I put the stock 2 ohm Bose garbage back in. Will running them off the HU at high volume long term ruin the internal amp? I'm not an electronics major by any means but my understanding is that the HU will be pushed a lot harder with this configuration.

Check the manual for your specific model, if there is a rating for 2ohms(meaning its 2ohm stable) then it will tell you and list the specs for that ohm load. Although i dont think alot of models are 2ohm capable

I bet after impedance rise you'd be right around 4 ohm. I know infinity configures most of their speakers at 2 ohms and say they are safe for HU power.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.