winter time.....

Beatin'
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
MI
I'm thinking about taking out my sub system for 3 or 4 months. Ever since we started to get below freezing temps here in MI, my subs have no output and sound like crap. I keep fearing cracking the rubber surround and breaking the glue joints from playing too hard. "Warming them up" certainly doesn't work fast enough. So I'm thinking about taking them out......or am I worrying a bit much?

it's not even December yet and it's freezing out there, every day. Plus the snow and potential car accidents.....getting hurt is one thing, but damaging my equipment too? FUCK THAT.

I don't know how you dudes in Minnesota, Wisconsin, Maine, etc, do it.

i keep my system in 365 days a year. im in Wisconsin which has similar weather. before i head somewhere i letmy car warm up for ten min with medium heat and volume turned about a third of the way up. i let it sit and when im driving i slowly turn it up. it does take 20 min before i can play hard. but, i need bass to drive, its spoiled me lol. i can wait 20 min to bump. i haven't had Any problems and my car is rarly in a garage.

Well not exactly..... It can get damaged if you start wailing on it when its dead cold. If you warm up your interior and start playing for 10 minutes or so at moderate volume, you will do less damage in the long run.

The spiders are resin impregnated cloth...They don't like to flex when its really cold. Similar to your coat/jacket if it gets iced over. Some of the surrounds are rubber and a lot stiffer when cold, etc... Everything doesn't like to move when its cold.

It's better to warm up your equipment before going full tilt, imho.

If you get in an accident insurance actually values speakers in the doors, plus the headunit at retail price. The sub however is "your property", so you get to keep that. I think you can file a claim for damage to it, but other then that audio in your car can increase the check you get if your car gets totaled.

Take my subs out the car for winter?
FAWK that!

Move south.
I know, I was thinking how the FFFF will I survive 3 months without bass.

I may just take them out for 2 months. Jan and Feb are the worst where I live. I'm trying to build some new boxes anyway. I'll come back with a vengeance in March.

I too am in Michigan dude... No way Ill take my **** out. I start my car for 5-10 mins before I leave in the winter and when I start it up, I turn the radio volume up to around 10 or so. Enough so its on but not beating. But yet letting the subs warm up.

Live in michigan here. I will literally get into my frozen snow covered car and play test tones at full volume... not a single problem.

Live in michigan here. I will literally get into my frozen snow covered car and play test tones at full volume... not a single problem.
Gotta shake the snow and ice off the car somehow! I beat a pair of CVRs to death last winter and they were fine. No problems.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

Beatin'

10+ year member
CarAudio.com Elite
Beatin'
MI
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date