Wire questions

Participant count
  • Participant list

audiofreak95

texas
Q1) I drive a 2002 Honda Accord 3.0L V6 VTEC and I was wondering what size fuse I should put between my alternator and battery for the big three? I'm running the stock alternator and a duralast gold battery.

Q2) I have a CB radio that plugs into the power outlet in my console, and when my car idles up and down (like when the A/C cuts on and off) I can hear engine noise through my CB. What would cause this?

Q3) When my car idles up and down my dash lights fade for a second like when you turn on a vacuum in your house. Why is this so?

Responses are much appreciated //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

1 - Fuse for the max load the ALT can output OR the max load the cable installed between Batt and ALT can support

2 - Noise through an audio system are usually ground loops. Given that the CB unit is a self contained component and the noise is only present with the car on, its most likely interference (EMI) that is generated by the ALT. Two possible solutions: 1) Temporarily shield the unit in some fashion to see if this helps with the engine whine or 2) if the unit is metal you may have a ground issue from grounding through the metal chassis and wire harness at the same time is creating a ground loop. Try to isolate the unit from touching metal other then the ground in the wiring harness.

3 - The ALT makes more current (amperage) at higher idle, so if the draw is high at a low RPM, voltage will dip causing the lights to dim. When you increase RPM, amperage rises which brings voltage up and allows for the lights to brighten. An ALT that produces more amperage at low RPM then the stock unit will help along with doing the big 3

I have about 12 feet of 1/0 knu wire that I got from my friend as a payment of sorts for doing the big 3 in his truck to do the big 3 in my car.

As for the cb I was going to get something like this to run a few more things in my car like lights cb and other stuff. i plan to tap the drivers side fuse box of my car as sources to each of the circuits on this fuse box so that they turn on and off with the ignition.

I don't have anywhere near enough money to be replacing my alternator, but will doing the big three make a noticeable difference? When doing the big three where would be the best place to ground the battery? I know there is a sticky for it but the pics don't work anymore so I'm kinda lost its much different in a car as opposed to a truck lol

Ive never NEVER seen house lights dim when the vacuum is turned on...?? The hosue wiring is prolly old and faulty. Or it could be in projects! Lol

Upgrade your big 3 and go from there.. Another battery and high output alt

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.