Wire size argument

yes prolonged exposure to high db's definately causes damage. most people dont realize it until they get older. also the key word is could cause damage. if you expose yourself to it frequently then your chances are higher than someone that doesnt of course. many of us in the hobby have systems capable of 140+ db but dont jam at full tilt constantly either. some do and some dont, some of us only do it when showing the system off or for competitions. just like mr McIntosh says his home stereo would kill your ears but doesnt mean he listens to it at that level constantly. this is inturn the same situation just different location. he is putting us down for what we have in our cars but inturn has an equivelant set up in his home. does it make sence no but his point on the damage it can cause is tue.

I thought this thread was about what wire the op should use.

I believe mr McIntosh has already committed suicide, you can stop frying his body now //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif

You sir are making a fool of yourself. I've been exposed to 150+db system for almost 3 years and my hearing is just fine. I get monthly physicals for hearing check-ups since I work around lathe duplicators.
Whats your theory for all the people that sit in this vehicle? Are they tone deaf within a few minutes? I think not:laugh://content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif:laugh:

Yeah, right. 150 dB will cause virtually immediate permanent hearing loss. No going back, permanent. A simple Google search for dB hearing loss, hearing damage whatever will show that. 150 true dBs is basically "fatal" to your ears in a matter of seconds. Going by specs alone, my home speakers should peak around 125 dBs. The specs may lie, but I can tell you it is painful in just a few minutes. Way too fricken loud. Thats with 50 year old ears that have obviously lost sensitivity to higher frequencies. Not to mention a few concerts in my day. You have obviously not been listening to 150+dBs for years or even minutes if you can hear anything. Put your ear next to the nozzle of a jet engine at full thrust and see how long you can take it. That's roughly the same SPL you're purporting you routinely listen to. There's a reason the flight deck crews on aircraft carriers wear hearing protection. Its necessary. I'm guessing you also think MP3s sound good? Get real.

Ding ding ding! Winner. Just because you can still hear after abusing your ears for a couple years doesn't mean you will be able to when you're 50 or 60. Just because it's causing damage doesn't mean it will have instantaneous effects.
Well put. The effect is cumulative (and can be immediate with serious abuse).

Trust me, I'll be 50 in a couple of months.

150db at what freq though?
you're saying that the whole car audio community is wrong, and you are right? term labs are incorrect?
correct in a sence. he is just using general information to make an arguement and make himself look like he knows more than others and not specific data pertaining to the bandwidth which we use for spl in our hobby. it goes along with the " you can drown in a tea spoon of water" theory. edit, you can argue the useless point all day but it is still true. does it actually play true everyday- no but can happen. i have been in the hobby for about 18 years and have yet to see someone get instantanious complete hearing loss. i personally have sat in a vehicle at 158db and i found it hard to breath and it seemed to hurt my body more than my ears. i bet you can make someone go into cardiac arrest before deafness with lower frequencies.

edit

Well put. The effect is cumulative (and can be immediate with serious abuse). Trust me, I'll be 50 in a couple of months.
are you purposefully trying to confuse the arguement?

You are referring to higher frequencies @ 150+db

Im sure everyone else is talking about 150+db below 100 hz, this was sealed, on the dash, measured on a usb termlab

both will cause hearing loss, but higher frequencies will do it much faster

Ive sat in vehicles doing over 160 @ 50 hz, and it was not "instantly fatal" to my hearing, even though Im sure it cause some damage.

it almost seems like you're trolling for an arguement here.

yes prolonged exposure to high db's definately causes damage. most people dont realize it until they get older. also the key word is could cause damage. if you expose yourself to it frequently then your chances are higher than someone that doesnt of course. many of us in the hobby have systems capable of 140+ db but dont jam at full tilt constantly either. some do and some dont, some of us only do it when showing the system off or for competitions. just like mr McIntosh says his home stereo would kill your ears but doesnt mean he listens to it at that level constantly. this is inturn the same situation just different location. he is putting us down for what we have in our cars but inturn has an equivelant set up in his home. does it make sence no but his point on the damage it can cause is tue.
Please don't call me Mr. McIntosh, I work for a living. I certainly don't "redline" my stereo often, but its there. 125 versus 140 dB is a HUGE difference. 125 is more than adequate (assuming that's what I have, no matter). It is not my intent to "put anyone down" for having additional headroom. Saying you listen at 140+ dBs is ludicrous. 150+ dB is even moreso. The human ear can't possibly take that.

Please don't call me Mr. McIntosh, I work for a living. I certainly don't "redline" my stereo often, but its there. 125 versus 140 dB is a HUGE difference. 125 is more than adequate (assuming that's what I have, no matter). It is not my intent to "put anyone down" for having additional headroom. Saying you listen at 140+ dBs is ludicrous. 150+ dB is even moreso. The human ear can't possibly take that.
it has been done. there are even videos of the ****.

again, we are talking 100hz (by far)

it has been done. there are even videos of the ****.
again, we are talking >100hz, whereas you are probably talking

I'm guessing your less than and greater than signs were reversed by mistake? I don't count subs when calculating program power. My sub http://www.klipsch.com/na-en/products/rt-12d-overview/

rarely gets turned on. It causes soup cans to sneak out of the cabinets. The stock woofs are fine. When I use it, it's toned down quite a bit. To take some bass load away from the mains.

125db at 45hz? in no way is painful. were not talking full range here genius. i know you keep throwing this general iformation out there that is of no realistic value to our hobby. stick to playing with your wire nuts.

Yeah, right. 150 dB will cause virtually immediate permanent hearing loss. No going back, permanent. A simple Google search for dB hearing loss, hearing damage whatever will show that. 150 true dBs is basically "fatal" to your ears in a matter of seconds. Going by specs alone, my home speakers should peak around 125 dBs. The specs may lie, but I can tell you it is painful in just a few minutes. Way too fricken loud. Thats with 50 year old ears that have obviously lost sensitivity to higher frequencies. Not to mention a few concerts in my day. You have obviously not been listening to 150+dBs for years or even minutes if you can hear anything. Put your ear next to the nozzle of a jet engine at full thrust and see how long you can take it. That's roughly the same SPL you're purporting you routinely listen to. There's a reason the flight deck crews on aircraft carriers wear hearing protection. Its necessary. I'm guessing you also think MP3s sound good? Get real.
Well if you're calling the readings of what systems are hitting as inaccurate then you know nothing about the Term Lab. NASA approved by the way to measure pressure of the shuttle take off. I have a feeling you are trying to cordinate stuff above 150hz into your theory. For one, why would anyone on this forum be into blasting 150+hz for the hell of it? MP3's ****.. My truck skips my Ipod. Also you do know what they used to measure the readings in decibels for aircraft engines right? You are wrong again. I've been on the U.S. Princeton while an F15 had taken off with no ear protection and I havent suffered any permanent hearing loss. I've also raced motocross for 14years and you would think with racing amongst 20 other guys with 250cc 2 strokes, they would require us to wear hearing protection...

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif:laugh://content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif:laugh: Come on man.. you get real

You want to talk about high frequency hearing damage, I know that will do damage. But you are on the WRONG forum

I'm guessing your less than and greater than signs were reversed by mistake? I don't count subs when calculating program power. My sub http://www.klipsch.com/na-en/products/rt-12d-overview/rarely gets turned on. It causes soup cans to sneak out of the cabinets. The stock woofs are fine. When I use it, it's toned down quite a bit. To take some bass load away from the mains.
i fixed them. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

and you're preaching HT to CA guys.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.