Would a single din or double din fit my needs better?

Participant count
  • Participant list
I have a 2016 ram 2500 bare bones truck. No back up camera, no steering wheel controls it doesn't even have a CD player. I listen to 90% of my music off my pandora app on my iPhone and the other 10% is just your local radio stations.

The single din units are cheaper but the double dins look better. I will be installing a sub and amp at this time as well. I just like listening to good music when I want navigation I always pull up google maps on my phone so that's not a need for me either.

Only down side is my dash is pretty much setup for a double din so if I went with a single I would have a little storage tray under it. Which is really no big deal to me just something to think about.

I have a 2016 ram 2500 bare bones truck. No back up camera, no steering wheel controls it doesn't even have a CD player. I listen to 90% of my music off my pandora app on my iPhone and the other 10% is just your local radio stations.
The single din units are cheaper but the double dins look better. I will be installing a sub and amp at this time as well. I just like listening to good music when I want navigation I always pull up google maps on my phone so that's not a need for me either.

Only down side is my dash is pretty much setup for a double din so if I went with a single I would have a little storage tray under it. Which is really no big deal to me just something to think about.
pioneer 2800bs for double din. I'd recommend double din since single dins make your 2016 truck look prehistoric and ghetto.

That particular pioneer double din has a lot of audio options as well for maximum sound quality and you can do a really nice speaker setup with the active network crossover mode it has in the future.

pioneer 2800bs for double din. I'd recommend double din since single dins make your 2016 truck look prehistoric and ghetto.
That particular pioneer double din has a lot of audio options as well for maximum sound quality and you can do a really nice speaker setup with the active network crossover mode it has in the future.
That is a nice looking unit what do you think about the kenwood kdx 394?

That is a nice looking unit what do you think about the kenwood kdx 394?
that one is good too. The screen is not as bright though, Might be prone to sun glare hence why i didnt put it on the list but audiowise its great as well. I had the earlier gen which was the 373 basically identical and everything was fine except the screen could be a bit brighter. Easy tuning if you just have a pair of components or coaxials. If you want to do an advanced audio setup the pioneer would be better but simple setups would be kenwood.

that one is good too. The screen is not as bright though, Might be prone to sun glare hence why i didnt put it on the list but audiowise its great as well. I had the earlier gen which was the 373 basically identical and everything was fine except the screen could be a bit brighter. Easy tuning if you just have a pair of components or coaxials. If you want to do an advanced audio setup the pioneer would be better but simple setups would be kenwood.
As far as sound goes wouldn't the KDC X301 do the same things as a double din unit? It may not look as good but looks really simple to operate and is budget friendly

Stop wasting your data on pandora. The quatitly isn't great on top of that.

If you insist on listening to ****** compressed tracks just get a 150$ double din.

If not get you a decent double din and download some FLAC music on a flash drive or harddrive and get something worth your time..

If it don't say excelon i dont ***** with it

Stop wasting your data on pandora. The quatitly isn't great on top of that.If you insist on listening to ****** compressed tracks just get a 150$ double din.

If not get you a decent double din and download some FLAC music on a flash drive or harddrive and get something worth your time..
I have unlimited data so that's not really a issue for me.

So how would I go about setting up a FLAC drive? I honestly have no idea how to do this I've always just listened to music off my phone
I honestly dl my stuff from piratebay.

I also use hD tracks if i really want something in really high resoultion.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233645

This is decent. Decem read/write times.

I find mearly everthing i wan in flack on thepiratebay.se

So how would I go about setting up a FLAC drive? I honestly have no idea how to do this I've always just listened to music off my phone
you can get a 128 gig flash drive for under $40 (actually $32 here) and as papermaker said, if you d/l flac files on it and get about 10 or so megabytes per minute for music. So, it calculates like this 128 gb is 128*1024 to get the megabytes of storage (a gigabyte is 1024 megabytes). Then you have to figure how many megabytes per minutes the file type youre using is and FLAC is about 10 or so, so you divide that result by 10, so 128*1024= 131072/10= 13107. then you divide that result by the accepted average song length which is around 4 minutes. So, 13107/4=3276.8. What all that means is that for $32 you can have around 3200(closer to 3300) songs on a flash drive in impeccable quality, instantly accessible without having to change discs ever. Also, averaging 10 songs per album, youre looking at 330 albums. Thats a tons of music. It would require you to hook said flash drive up to your computer and put all the albums on the flash drive, but once that is done, youll have a very high ability of rocking out that you couldnt have previously imagined. Also, adding new albums to the drive is very easy and fast. There is a cable you can get to hook the device up to your phone, so if youre away from a computer but you just gotta add an album to your drive, you can download it on your phone and transfer it over to the drive, plug it back in to your decks extension cable and youre done. Additionally, you can spend a few more dollars on a 256 gb flash drive and double those numbers. Here is a link to a $42 flash drive

aaaaaaand i just realized that i went on a diatribe about getting music in your car which had nothing to do with your original question. Sorry about that. The din/double din thing is really down to personal preference aesthetically coupled with audio capability. The deck that jeff mentioned solved the old issue of double dins not offering as good of audio quality as single dins (that always confused me btw. youd think that with double the internal space that they would be able to get enough stuff in there to be able to tune the audio pretty well, at a higher cost of course since it was more material for the double din) it basically boils down to this, you can have a double din that fills the space better or a single din and have a place to put your phone. The double din will also have an easier to read display (usually).

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.