Xmax

I believe it is how far the cone can move in one direction while maintaining linear motor force. Or something like that.

Does a higher Xmax make the subs hit the lows better or it doesn't really matter?
I'd say there are a lot more factors to getting a sub to hit lows than the xmax. I've been kinda researching this topic a lot lately and it seems that it has to do more with motor strength and other factors of the sub. An analogy that kept popping up was "its not how far you can throw a punch, but how hard you can throw the punch":readytog:

box and motor force/power help but on the low notes you have to be able to get a good amount of excursion with good control but i would say the first two mentioned are most important by far. tons of hard spiders help too lulz.

From the prior link :

"Excursion limit due to the magnetic limitations of the driver's motor. Xmag is defined as the displacement at which the BL product has fallen to 70% of its value at the cone's rest position."

That is fairly standard in the industry -- it is how I rate our drivers.

A driver can technically move WELL beyond x-max but BL related distortion will be pretty high beyond it.

More linear x-max will help with low frequency extension -- especially in a sealed box -- but other specs will also have alot to do with it... but say you have two identical drivers spec wise one has 10mm x-max and one has 30mm... safe to say the one with 30mm has alot more maximum output at low frequencies.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

eric78702

10+ year member
eric78702
Austin, TX
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from