Xmax?

well i will take a stab at it. if i'm wrong or off i'm sure there will be a flame trail with stfu and your an idiot but anyways it's like how far the cone moves. the excursion. generally the bigger the better, but having high xmax doesn't mean that sub is gonna be better then others.

^ Kinda

(Length of coil - Height of gap) / 2 = Xmax

Its how far the speaker can move in one direction w/o changing the number of coils in the gap. I've also heard of ppl measuring it in terms of Xmag and Xsus.

the voice coil moves in and out along an axis, the x axis

xmax is a point along the x axis, xsus, and xmag are points as well

xsus is the point where the suspension complience becomes 4X as what it is at rest, this is the point where it is considered non-linear

xmag is the point where the motor strength is less than 71% of what is measured at rest

xmax is whichever comes first

xmax * Sd(area of the cone and about half the surround) = linear displacement

displacing air is where bass comes from, if proper power is given to the sub...so you can have woofer X with huge Xmax, but lack of power to get that Xmax, a woofer with less, can be louder. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

look ..,.when i by my next sub...i try 2 find a sub that can displace alot of air in one direction..but at the same time get a decent speaker......and to tell u guys the truth......when i was younger i got caught up thinking the fatter the surround the more air is being moved...but in actuality..your losing whats most important...and thats cone area.....so now as i got older and know more about how a speaker works ...i realize that some speakers dont need alot of xmax to make alot of bass....for example...memphis mojo...my freind has 2 15memphis mojo's in his car and he has a mojo amp on each 15 and he played r'kelly's song called downlow.......and the bass was out of this world...so i looked at the speaker because in my head i knew those mothaf.ucka was moving...and 2 my surprise...they barely moved....so from that point on i realize u can create bass without moving alot of air depending on install...i'm tired of typing if theres anything i missed or if i'm wrong about what i just siad.............f.uck it

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

96pfinderSE

10+ year member
CarAudio.com Elite
96pfinderSE
Georgia
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date