your gain preference?

willya745
10+ year member

<{--!! WAR EAGLE!!--}>
so got the kickers hooked up to the temporary 1200w sony amp.

i played with them for a little while and now its time to set the gains. the subs are 2 ohm and the amp is rated for 200w rms.in my math thats 20v(math check please?). i have looked at many websites to learn how to set my gains but some say to turn all EQs' and bass boost off. but others (like J-mac in the gain setting thread) say to leave the bassboost and EQs to your normal settings. i want to set the gains for bass when the vol. is up high, so i'm setting my hu to 50/70. this is in a reg cab.(if that helps) so how should i set them?

if you want bass boost then go ahead and use it but it will lead to a very peaky frequency response.....all your choice though

6 db's of bass boost before the gain bein set shouldn't hurt, i think that amp has one that goes up to 12 db, put it at 6 db, if ya max it all ur bass hits will pound and ur gain will be set lower cuz of what hte amp has to put out with that bass boost option, ur choice

my advice is to basically turn your gain all the way up.

its maximizes power going to the car and replaces lost horse power when you're running your a/c

got it set at 3/4 vol w/ +2 bass boost and no eq. but when i turn it up to around 1/2 vol w/ +2 bass boost and the eq on i smell something after about 2 or 3 mins. is it the eq or is it just dust or something? could it be happening because they havent been broken in yet?

thanks

It's your subwoofers telling you that you are overpowering them. Which would imply you still do not have your gain/bass boost/eq set properly.

6 db's of bass boost before the gain bein set shouldn't hurt, i think that amp has one that goes up to 12 db, put it at 6 db, if ya max it all ur bass hits will pound and ur gain will be set lower cuz of what hte amp has to put out with that bass boost option, ur choice
6db boost = 4x the power = bad idea in most instances

It's your subwoofers telling you that you are overpowering them. Which would imply you still do not have your gain/bass boost/eq set properly.
//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wallbash.gif.1310150c49dd52e0fbe1813a0681e5c3.gif ....... are you kidding me? i though i was finally through with all this gain crap. (sigh) well i have 2 two ohm subs wired at a total of 8 ohm load on a 2 ch. amp.that puts out 200rms per channel. by my math that is 20v exactly. i set the vol. at 3/4 with bassboost and no eq. then i used a volt meter to set the gain . where did i screw up?//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif

Turn all amp gains to minimum and shut off all amps not being set at that time, then set source unit volume level to just below full volume say 33 on a scale of 35, then using a recording that is at a high level, set the gain of the weakest part of your system (least SPL output level) I bring the amp input gain up until I hear just start hearing distortion (this is difficult for most people as they don't understand what distortions sounds like) I leave the gain there. Then I set the volume at a normal listening level and bring the other amp gains up to the desired level that sounds best. Gains setting done. by: E. Stevens

Try without the bassboost.

Your amp is rated at 200watt rms at what Ohm? Not all amps will put out specified power before clipping starts.

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wallbash.gif.1310150c49dd52e0fbe1813a0681e5c3.gif ....... are you kidding me? i though i was finally through with all this gain crap. (sigh) well i have 2 two ohm subs wired at a total of 8 ohm load on a 2 ch. amp.that puts out 200rms per channel. by my math that is 20v exactly. i set the vol. at 3/4 with bassboost and no eq. then i used a volt meter to set the gain . where did i screw up?//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif
Wait, are those single voice coil or dual voice coil subs? Somethings not right there. Plus if you are running that amp at 8 ohm bridged, its only gonna be putting out maybe 250 watts rms. And that's sony watts lol.

how do you have both 2ohm subs wired, parallel or series? parallel = 1 ohm. series = 4ohm. you say your amp does 200rms per channel, at what impedance 4ohm or 2ohm? is your amp 1ohm stable?

if your having issues setting your gains, turn off your EQ and bassboost. if set properly with enough power for each sub you don't need bassboost anyway. is your amp the SONY XM-2200GTX 2/1 XPLOD ?? if so, wire your subs in series and connect the +/- to the amp bridged. turn of EQ/bass boost. set your HU to 50/70. play a 50hz test tone and set your gain to 44.7v

walla!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.