12 or 2 eights that is the question

A 12 is going to typically play a better range than 8's. 8's still aren't quite full subwoofers yet, most car audio 8's. 12's will hit lows way better, tend to have a better balanced coil/spider/xmax parameter ratio.

A 12 is going to typically play a better range than 8's. 8's still aren't quite full subwoofers yet, most car audio 8's. 12's will hit lows way better, tend to have a better balanced coil/spider/xmax parameter ratio.

Wow! My two 8's just went up against a 12" Sundown ZV6 and they scored higher and played lower than his 12". My 8's were @ 33hz. and his 12" was 34 hz. His 12" was even more cone area (12.5%) than my 8's. He was also on a 5K amp and I was on a 3K amp. Two 8's done right can get pretty low. I guess that you just mean in general. No worries. Just my experience. Not wanting to start anything.

Wow! My two 8's just went up against a 12" Sundown ZV6 and they scored higher and played lower than his 12". My 8's were @ 33hz. and his 12" was 34 hz. His 12" was even more cone area (12.5%) than my 8's. He was also on a 5K amp and I was on a 3K amp. Two 8's done right can get pretty low. I guess that you just mean in general. No worries. Just my experience. Not wanting to start anything.

Dude, if you weren't trying to start anything, you wouldn't type stuff like that. I said typically. Learn to read and take midol before you post your PMS stuff, please. Most 12's will play lower than 8's because of physical differences. There's a lot of factors to audio, that's why I said typically, don't do me like that with all of your emotions like I'm trying to mislead someone. GTFOutta here with that BS man.

Nobody was talking about you or your system.

8's can't have the same type of usable xmax like a 12 will have, they just can't because there's no enough room for high powered coils and high xmax in an 8's small basket, therefore they can only move so far. 12's have a much larger spider landing and 12 can have a 3" or 4" voice coil and still have 30+mm of xmax....no 8 is coming close to that.

You can crap on 8's all you want. I know that my two little $320 (total) 8's just hit louder and lower than this 12" Sundown beast that was on a 5K. I don't get PMS anymore since I had a vasectomy! 😂

Screenshot_20210707-130340_Chrome.jpg

You can crap on 8's all you want. I know that my two little $320 (total) 8's just hit louder and lower than this 12" Sundown beast that was on a 5K. I don't get PMS anymore since I had a vasectomy! 😂

View attachment 30320

I don't understand what your problem is with yourself or reality. I don't have anything against 8's, I'm not crapping on 8's. Facts are facts, Fs's are Fs's, wattage is wattage, Mms is Mms, coil diameter is coil diameter, spider diameter is spider diameter. 8's typically can't play lows like 12's. Typically, generally, usually; it's called a rule of thumb, as well. I'm a box designer. 8's don't play lows like 12's do, in most situations. If you try to aim for max SPL for low notes (into the 20's), nobody is going to choose 8's, unless they want a challenge.

The OP isn't you, the OP isn't me, the OP is asking for himself, so I'm just giving him general advice. What do you do? You start bragging about your system and beefing with me about facts I post. Get a life.

I don't understand what your problem is with yourself or reality. I don't have anything against 8's, I'm not crapping on 8's. Facts are facts, Fs's are Fs's, wattage is wattage, Mms is Mms, coil diameter is coil diameter, spider diameter is spider diameter. 8's typically can't play lows like 12's. Typically, generally, usually; it's called a rule of thumb, as well. I'm a box designer. 8's don't play lows like 12's do, in most situations. If you try to aim for max SPL for low notes (into the 20's), nobody is going to choose 8's, unless they want a challenge.

The OP isn't you, the OP isn't me, the OP is asking for himself, so I'm just giving him general advice. What do you do? You start bragging about your system and beefing with me about facts I post. Get a life.

8's aren't even subwoofers, right? If you would've read the OP's post instead of the thread name then you would've realized that the OP is trying to decide between an 8" or a 10". He even says that he doesn't care about bass.

8's aren't even subwoofers, right? If you would've read the OP's post instead of the thread name then you would've realized that the OP is trying to decide between an 8" or a 10". He even says that he doesn't care about bass.

I'm not arguing with you. Go away, go bother someone else. I'm trying to help this dude. He's asking questions, I read the whole title, original post, and people's comments. I commented after all of that. I don't need to explain this to you. What is wrong with you? Stop trying to find reasons to beef with me. The only reason you posted in here at all was to try and correct me, because of whatever reason, and it's apparent you'll just argue anything I'll say. I'm not doing this. This isn't the Thunderdome, this dude is here for audio, I'm trying to help him understand things based of the his discussion and others in this thread.

What’s his box like?

He said it was a custom box, but who knows. U didn't see any pre-fab markings on his box. If anything I think his box was too far from the rear door (hatch). His Cerwin Vega 5K might have been hurting him as well. I'm guessing that amp isn't really a 5K. I only brought the Bug for somebody to look at. I really didn't think it was some meter challenge against him. I've never had any of my 8's smelling or hot. His 12" was hot and stinky. So, my friend told him to shut it down before he really damaged the sub. I'm sold on how much a proper box means now.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...