12" Fi Car Audio Q vs 12" Stereo Integrity Mag D2(Comparo Pics)

dB Dom
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Chicago IL
Finally got my hands on a 12" Q, so now its time for a direct comparison. Ill try to break down the parts as best as I can. Alot of people speculate these drivers to be very similar, othesr say they are completely different. Here are some pics, decide for yourself.

642894_263_full.jpg

Both very nice looking drivers.

642894_264_full.jpg

The Q top plate is a little taller, the magnets are the same height and width, and the back plate is also taller on the Q. So in physical size, the motors are almost the same. Now unfortunately I cannot rip these drivers apart to compare the gap etc. Nor do I know what kind of steel the motors are made of, or whether the magnets are the same grade, so you cant make any assumptions on that.

Mag:

642894_265_full.jpg

Q:

642894_266_full.jpg

The coil on the mag is a little shorter, looks to be about 1/8" shorter. And the coil wire diameter is also different, the Q has a much beefier coil, at least one gauge above the mag.

Mag:

642894_267_full.jpg

Q:

642894_268_full.jpg

My guess would be the former is exactly the same.

The spiders are both woven poly cotton spiders. But look to be different consistency.

Tinsels look to be the same. The Q are a little beefier.

The cone is the standard paper pulp. with kelvar.

Surround also looks to be a little different profile. Both foam.

Another ass shot:

642894_269_full.jpg

Here is a bizarro pic, lol:

642894_273_full.jpg

The conclusion:

While both drivers are very similar physical dimensions they are quite different upon a closer inspection.

I would have to say the Q looks to use beefier parts as opposed to the mag.

I have listened to the Q very briefly and lets just say Im not dissapointed with the "downgrade" as many would call it.

I will have a little review tonite when I have more time to write it.

cool
any ideas what parts exactly are making the mag more expensive to the consumer?
Well, chrome plating is obviously more expensive, the dustcap looks to be nicer looking. I dont know what kind of steel or magnets they both use, so that could be the difference too.

cool
any ideas what parts exactly are making the mag more expensive to the consumer?
Because Stereo Integrity does not sell direct any more...and Fi makes all of their drivers In house and sells directly to the public.

I auditioned a mag this weekend for SPL purposes (thanks Jntar) and I was more than impressed with its preformance. It Was 6 db louder than 2 RL-p 12"s sealed. The Mag is a great sub and is worth every penny.

They dont have the same phyiscal deminsions.

Top plate is taller

Back plate is bigger

Pitch on the backplate is different, both in physical size and pitch.

Spiders are different

Coil is different (winding length and guage)

Dustcap is different

Moving mass is different

However they use the same basket and slugs though.

...no where near the same subs...sorry to pop your bubble

They sound different...put on some reference material and hear with your own ears //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Can't go wrong with a Q, it's a solid performer, but they're not identical.

They dont have the same phyiscal deminsions.
Top plate is taller

Back plate is bigger

Pitch on the backplate is different, both in physical size and pitch.

Spiders are different

Coil is different (winding length and guage)

Dustcap is different

Moving mass is different

However they use the same basket and slugs though.

...no where near the same subs...sorry to pop your bubble
They sound different...put on some reference material and hear with your own ears //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
Can't go wrong with a Q, it's a solid performer, but they're not identical.

Bah, what the he!! would you guys know //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/tongue.gif.6130eb82179565f6db8d26d6001dcd24.gif//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

my thoughts would be if u can afford a mag buy a mag, but if u cant afford a mag the q is a definate performer
x2

But if you save a couple hundred more over the price of a Mag, give the Aura NS and MR series a good look //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.