15 inch sealed vs. 10 inch ported

cleansoundzz
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Buena Park
As far as hitting the low notes with authority, my 2 RE Audio SE 10s in a custom made box tuned to 34hz are amazing. Would 2 15s in a sealed box match the low notes from my 2 ported 10s? Anything 50hz or above I know that the 15s would be superior but what about anything below 50hz?

wth below 50hz is not a LOW note for a sub... I would say below 34 are the REAL lows and it all depends on how nice of a ported you get. Anyways IMO the 15's should kill in the lows verse the 10's.

wth below 50hz is not a LOW note for a sub... I would say below 34 are the REAL lows and it all depends on how nice of a ported you get. Anyways IMO the 15's should kill in the lows verse the 10's.
He just said he is sealing the 15s...

---------- Post added at 10:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:46 AM ----------

And yes, If you build the sealed box big enough, it should still get quite low. I would build the box just a little bigger than what is recommended to drop the tuning of the sealed enclosure.

Not true. I had two 15 CVR sealed and I heard a 10" fi bl and it was louder and played lower than both those CVRs. I would just stick with the 10s if I were you.

If you really wanna get louder and lower, go with a single 15 ported.

He just said he is sealing the 15s... 

---------- Post added at 10:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:46 AM ----------

And yes, If you build the sealed box big enough, it should still get quite low. I would build the box just a little bigger than what is recommended to drop the tuning of the sealed enclosure.
Did not notice that... well the 15's would have a flat response than and a nice ported on 10's probably will dig the lows better vs sealed.

Not true. I had two 15 CVR sealed and I heard a 10" fi bl and it was louder and played lower than both those CVRs. I would just stick with the 10s if I were you.
If you really wanna get louder and lower, go with a single 15 ported.
Apples and oranges on the subs there though that bl better dig deep than the cvr

Apples and oranges on the subs there though that bl better dig deep than the cvr
Yeah but he never said what 15s he was going with. He just said would two 15s sealed be better than his 10s. I replied to your statement cause it's not always true.

Yeah but he never said what 15s he was going with. He just said would two 15s sealed be better than his 10s. I replied to your statement cause it's not always true.
agreed I just assumed it was the same re's but in 15's but he said sealed so he would need quite a large sealed box to really get those lows

I am loving the lows on my 10s, no doubt. It was just a question for informational purposes. If I did go with a 15, it would have to be 1000 watts rms and it would now be ported. I tried out 2 sealed 10s yesterday in my Z. My custom box for a ported 10 inch RE Audio 10 ate them up. I am just thinking about the box size for a ported 15 vs my 2 10's ported.

I am loving the lows on my 10s, no doubt. It was just a question for informational purposes. If I did go with a 15, it would have to be 1000 watts rms and it would now be ported. I tried out 2 sealed 10s yesterday in my Z. My custom box for a ported 10 inch RE Audio 10 ate them up. I am just thinking about the box size for a ported 15 vs my 2 10's ported.
You can fit a 15 in as little as 3 cubes which is ideal for two 10s, so the box could theoretically be the same size. I have my 15 in 3 cubes tuned to 31 hz and it definitely kills the lows.

You can fit a 15 in as little as 3 cubes which is ideal for two 10s, so the box could theoretically be the same size. I have my 15 in 3 cubes tuned to 31 hz and it definitely kills the lows.
That is what I wanted to hear. I would run the 15 off of my Arc KS 1200.1 @ 2 ohms. That 15 would get 1200-1400 watts. I could shell out $350 for a good 15. There is a shop by my house that made the last 3-4 boxes for me and did an excellent job on all of them.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.