1996 Bronco build - everyday system, not a ground pounder (caution - pix heavy)

It snapped a few inches up from the heel, so I guess that's good.

Started on the main mount for the amps today. Again, everything is slow going. Not sure how I'm going to actually mount the amps though. Turns out big power most often comes in a big package.

Ok, so "some" amount of forward progress. I was liking have a sub and hearing/feeling the bass in the music, but had not ported it yet, and could hear the sub having problems in a 1.75cf sealed enclosure.

The achilles tendon is healed up, but I have far from original range of motion and still have a long way to go. No word on physical therapy per se, so we'll see what happens.

Already had the 2" port from parts express (called a precision port), but did not have a chance to install it yet. I was going to install it facing the driver's side, but it is all gentle curves, and I don't want it to look bad. So Monday I pulled the whole thing out. What a pain in the arse. All mounting bolts for the box are hidden behind trim and from the inside. The port went into the front and fires directly at passenger-side rear wheel arch. I guess this gives some sort of port loading, though honestly, I'm not sure how that works, if it works, if it's a good thing, etc. LOL

The amount of bass is significantly higher in SPL, though without a meter, I have no idea what that means. The rear view mirror is cool to watch though. With the music on, you cannot really hear the bass right outside the truck, but step in the house and you can hear it. It's weird. We were out and about in the afternoon, and someone pulled up next to us with her windows down, and she just looked over and shook her head. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/applause.gif.bb805d8088f72dbc2fe808c29e85fb4c.gif

The problem that I had is the port length. The formula that came with the tube, as well as WinISD has me at a port length of 3" for 34hz. But the design of the tube allows for a min port length of 4"!!!!!!!!! This drops me to a port tune of 30-31hz, and the graph in WinISD shows a 1/2db loss at 35hz, where it peaks. Compare this to the graph for a port tune of 34hz, and the peak comes in at 38hz, and 2db higher at that frequency. So I know I am still not putting out the most that this speaker can do in this box. But is it worth it to try to find a way to get there?

Now I just need to get back on the wiring mess and the amplifier mounting rack.

I was sure happy to see this build:) My first car was a 94' Bronco that came with my first system. Not a day goes by that I don't miss the hell out of that truck. Except for the gas mileage... >.

Good luck with recovery, I hope you get back to moving around soon. I'm subbed in.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.