2 12's Vs 4 12's

nkacstreet

I realize there are a ton of variables that can go into a question like this. I've always ran 2 12's and am interested in running 4, but I also don't want to, if the benefits aren't that significant.

I will be running about 2500 watts , haven't decided on an amp just yet.

I have a subwoofer budget of 500 dollars, that might be negotiable for more if the benefits of the extra cost can be justified, but it wouldn't be over 700 that would be the limit. I have no lack of space, it will going in a mini van, so I can build optimum size enclosure for 4 subs.

In terms of SPL, would it be better to spend more money each on 2 12's capable of handing 2500 watts divided by 2, or less money on each to get 4 subs dividing the 2500 watts, less watts to each sub of course, but having an increase in cone area.

Any thoughts will be appreciated

Lots of variables, as other said cone area is king. Just for the general question and given the subs are the same or very similar then 4 will for sure be louder.

But.... would you be able to probably sustain a setup of 2500 watts?

Specifically the electrical? Batteries, alt, wire? It get expensive.

You’d want a setup that could be used to its fullest.

If you’ve already factored that and you’re just looking for subs then let’s get loud

Lots of variables, as other said cone area is king. Just for the general question and given the subs are the same or very similar then 4 will for sure be louder.
But.... would you be able to probably sustain a setup of 2500 watts?

Specifically the electrical? Batteries, alt, wire? It get expensive.

You’d want a setup that could be used to its fullest.

If you’ve already factored that and you’re just looking for subs then let’s get loud

Yeah, the question was mainly based on all of that being factored in. True power available, enclosure space available, and the only question remaining would be cone area of 2 subs VS 4 subs VS a fixed amount of power available split up between the subs.

I've went from 1 sub to 2 subs in the past, but I increased power at the same time, so I didn't have a frame of reference for adding subs with the same amount of power.

Thanks for your input

if you can sustain your 2500 watts, i feel that would be better suited for 2 12's. my 2 12s in a proper box gets some whats louder and a lot lower thank most cramming 4 in almost the same space. And I feel you'd be better giving 2 12's 700 or 800 watts a piece than 4 12's 3 or 400 watts per. Gotta factor in rise somewhat.

Why not 2 15's if you're willing to give up space?

2 xfl's come in budget or you could wait for Black Friday sales and get something a bit better

Why not 2 15's if you're willing to give up space?2 xfl's come in budget or you could wait for Black Friday sales and get something a bit better
That is a possibility, the 4 12's still have more cone area than 2 15's, but, maybe not by a large margin. The 2 15's would each be fed more power than each the 4 12's, so it does sound like in that case the 15's would be louder?

if you have a minivan, FK 12s. Do two 18s. These will easily eat up your 2500 watts. That 750 watt rating is a complete joke, they handle way more.

Ejxw7b.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
With a budget of $500, I'd probably do 4 12's. Specifically E series Sundowns. Particularly since space isn't an issue, more is (almost) always better.

if you have a minivan, FK 12s. Do two 18s. These will easily eat up your 2500 watts. That 750 watt rating is a complete joke, they handle way more.
Ejxw7b.jpg
Hey Jeff, looks like you got a lot of tabs open lol

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

nkacstreet

nkacstreet
wichita, ks
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from
Jeffdachef