2.5" column-style neo motors??

Participant count
  • Participant list

adulbrich
5,000+ posts

Olive oil un-virginer
Ames, Iowa
Stumbled upon these and I thought I'd share..

2.5" 12 Pillar Voice Coil RADIAL NEO MOTOR

$450 each or $850 for a pair

They look sick:

1421362750990-1200528399.jpeg

1421362757641-25020743.jpeg

14213627438331780307154.jpeg

14213627370761317791007.jpeg

1421362763510-519258598.jpeg

Yea, I wish I had the money to pick a pair of these up. I think they would be great for an efficiency or SQ build on low power too

What grade Neo? What type of steel? Who engineered them? Looking like a DD95 doesn't make them a DD95. Good luck to anyone who buys them though.
Not sure if there is any steel. I know my Z uses a lot of aluminum. I read somewhere that the column-style motors like this do not use a steel top plate because of their magnet orientation. I am not 100% sure this is accurate. I know looks don't mean everything, but its a solid design. Thanks

EDIT: I was going to contact the supplier and see what grade neo it is. I also want to know if there is any heat treatment done to them.

If they will send me any more specs, I'll post them here

Not sure if there is any steel. I know my Z uses a lot of aluminum. I read somewhere that the column-style motors like this do not use a steel top plate because of their magnet orientation. I am not 100% sure this is accurate. I know looks don't mean everything, but its a solid design. Thanks
Of course they're steel. That's how they make the N and S pole of the magnet wrap around and create the gap... it needs to be as conductive as possible for magnetic flux, this is why the grade of steel is important. Think of it as a big horseshoe magnet with the two ends turned inwards, that's what a loudspeaker motor is.

Of course they're steel. That's how they make the N and S pole of the magnet wrap around and create the gap... it needs to be as conductive as possible for magnetic flux, this is why the grade of steel is important. Think of it as a big horseshoe magnet with the two ends turned inwards, that's what a loudspeaker motor is.
What grade would I want it to be, and what would be a deal-breaker for you? I'm not familiar with the different grades. They're not commonly brought up in subwoofer motor discussions

What grade would I want it to be, and what would be a deal-breaker for you? I'm not familiar with the different grades. They're not commonly brought up in subwoofer motor discussions
I can't recall the specifics, I was told by someone at Atomic had it written down somewhere. The point isn't so much what you want it to be or don't want it to be, it's the fact that you will NEVER KNOW for sure unless you are the manufacturer or trust the manufacturer is actually building with the materials they promise. I've heard more than one story about the Chinese factories promising certain materials or building a nice prototype then cheaping out to save a buck once they have your money. Without some very advanced and expensive test equipment you'd likely never know what you're getting.

In other words, just asking the seller what it's made out of will only get you an answer as honest as the Chinese buildhouse where he bought them from.

I can't recall the specifics, I was told by someone at Atomic had it written down somewhere. The point isn't so much what you want it to be or don't want it to be, it's the fact that you will NEVER KNOW for sure unless you are the manufacturer or trust the manufacturer is actually building with the materials they promise. I've heard more than one story about the Chinese factories promising certain materials or building a nice prototype then cheaping out to save a buck once they have your money. Without some very advanced and expensive test equipment you'd likely never know what you're getting.
In other words, just asking the seller what it's made out of will only get you an answer as honest as the Chinese buildhouse where he bought them from.
Ok, I contacted them, so we'll see if they have a response. How much of a difference would it make?

Ok, I contacted them, so we'll see if they have a response. How much of a difference would it make?
One story in particular I've heard about is some old 21" Pyle PA woofers where the buildhouse did a switcheroo with the magnetic materials in a later production run. There was over 2dB difference (audible). The person who got them thought that the motors might not have been charged fully so he went to have them charged and they exploded.

Now assuming they were prototypes built for a legit company they are very likely good materials. Again, the point is you do not know. 450$ is a lot of money for so many unknowns.

I seem to remember seeing similar motors on alibaba a while back. These seem more legit though.

I hope they email me back. I know $450 is a lot. Hopefully they'll be worth it. Still cheaper than other similar neo motors and don't have a stupid name like the YOLO's

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.