2 Channel Receivers?

Yeah, I want to keep my reintroduction to home audio on the value side. I don't want to spend bunch of money now, because I know once I get into this I will have more definite ideas in a year.

Do you care about HDMI or anything? If not, an old Yamaha is what I did and it works absolutely wonderfully. Sounds great and has great features
I have been struggling with that a little. I know I could care less about it now, but my attitude has been that I don't want to go out of my way to avoid it either - just in case.

In short, if I had a choice between a good receiver with HDMI and a better one without it I would go with the latter.

2 channels are becoming more rare these days...but you can just pick up a decent 5.1 set up and run stereo. Some for under $150

Pioneer, onkyo, yamaha, denon, and HK are all good brands

2 channels are becoming more rare these days...but you can just pick up a decent 5.1 set up and run stereo. Some for under $150
Pioneer, onkyo, yamaha, denon, and HK are all good brands

Yeah, and that was really one of my questions I was considering -- is a two channel any better at doing what I currently want than say a 5.1 or 71 with similar rated output per channel.

For example, the Onkyo 8555 is the only 2 channel out of these:

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/CompareTo.aspx?g=10420&cc=01&compareItems=01|033AV1609&compareItems=01|033AV1709&compareItems=01|580TX8555&compareItems=01|580TXS507B

Yeah I have a pioneer 5.1 that I use just in stereo the majority of the time.

It is nice to have the extra channels just in case you ever wanna do HT and you wont have to buy a separate receiver. Its not like you are gonna save much money by just getting a 2 channel.

7.1 probably is needed either, unless you have a tremendous room

I wouldn't even get a receiver in that case.

2nd the integrated amp idea, though I'd stay away from those Chinese tubed integrateds. Look on Audiogon for used stuff.

I wouldn't go tubes unless you have $500-600 to spend on an EL34 push/pull design, or have very efficient speakers and could use EL84s in the 12-25 watt range.

I wouldn't even get a receiver in that case.
2nd the integrated amp idea, though I'd stay away from those Chinese tubed integrateds. Look on Audiogon for used stuff.

I wouldn't go tubes unless you have $500-600 to spend on an EL34 push/pull design, or have very efficient speakers and could use EL84s in the 12-25 watt range.
Yeah, weel the truth is I know I don't need a tuner, If I can find an integrated amp that does what I want I would be happy with that. I have just really started looking, and to be honest looking for a power source seems to be difficult for a couple of reasons -- I am not familiar with the places to shop online and I am starting from scratch with my knowledge of what is out there.

Yeah, weel the truth is I know I don't need a tuner, If I can find an integrated amp that does what I want I would be happy with that. I have just really started looking, and to be honest looking for a power source seems to be difficult for a couple of reasons -- I am not familiar with the places to shop online and I am starting from scratch with my knowledge of what is out there.
there are still some new Rotel rb-1050 2 channel amps out there,no preamp though. the cheapest integrated Rotel is $699. start cheap,get a Onkyo or yamaha 2,or 5 channel and just runs the fronts

Starting cheap sounds like a great idea to me --- like I said, I am fine with knowing that whatever I buy now may end up running a pair of bookshelves in my office one day.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.