2 piece box Insight

SpeedEuphoria
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
BCM
Hey need some insight. I want to make a 2 piece box since my trunk is smaller and can only fit 17x16.5x29.5 into the opening. I want it to be able to come back out of the trunk so plan on bolting it together.

I will use silicone or similar caulk to join the halves for a seal. It will use aero port(s) since a slot port would be a pain to figure out unless I was building it diff.

I'll post a sketchup pic later of the intended shape.

Any good Ideas to add a pocket of volume to the rear of a box? Or whats the easiest way to do it so it can be bolted together??

Thanks in advance

Ok well I have a google sketchup model of the 1 half, dont know how to post it as a pic since I dont have the "pro" version.

Anyway the box will be built as a whole, then cut in 1/2.

Then I'm not exactly sure how is best to bolt together.

I was thinking use something like 1x3 to go inside the cut half all the way around making like a picture frame(will be biscuit joined/screwer/glued) also have "L" brackets of steel supporting it all around. I would do this on both sides. Then drill appropriate sized matching holes on both sides.

Then I could get both pieces into the trunk 1 at a time, using rope caulk or silicone as a seal, bolt the 2 halves together from the inside through the speaker holes. I also intend to have a couple runs of all thread going all the way through the box on all axis, which will help hold it together.

The port will be Aero

The main question is, Is it worth it?? Should I just stick with a single 15" that is Ok in 3.5 cubes net?

I dont need a ton more space just 1Cube extra or so, which will leave me with the exact amount of trunk space as a smaller box/current box. As the space I'm using is the room from where my box hits behind the back seats to the actual seats where the tunnel to the trunk is from the interior.

I'd just build it in your trunk.
nope have to be able to get it out, and this way all of the hard work will be done outside of the trunk. Building it inside the trunk seems like a major PITA

Here's the pic of the 1st half of the box, dont mind the bolt thru holes being all over, just quickly put them in there so you could see:

NewAlpineBox2piecetest3.jpg

The pic doesnt show well but the area inside all holes/frame is open. If I do it center mating frames will be routed both sides so they will be 1/2 circle, like this ) (.

Also steel L brackets will be inside surrounding that frame

And prob a single 6" aero in the front between the 2 subs on the top, going as far into the box as required by tuning. Front will be double baffled also

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.