2 speakers and sub or 4 speakers

Participant count
  • Participant list

Evan Kays

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hi all, first post so I apologize if this is in the wrong place. Anyhow

I recently purchased a 89 c4 corvette. And let me tell you, the stock audio is JUNK. I've been restricted to listening to classic rock (not that it's bad but I'd like options) for the past few weeks because the speakers distort badly with any bass. While slowly going insane I've been looking into my options as far as upgrades.

Pretty sure I've figured out some of what I want. I'm going to find a used head unit that will send a good signal for an amp. Looking at the Alpine s-a32f 4 channel amp as my power source.

Here's my question. I have 4 channels with this amp (55w rms @ 4 ohms), do I go with 4 door speakers (6.5s and maybe 6x8 or 6x9s in the back) or 2 door speakers and 1 10in sub?

From the research I've done if I got 6.5 components and a sub I should come out with good sound since a corvette isn't huge on the inside and with no back seats there isn't much need for rear fill. But I've not an expert (for example I assume I can run 1 component 6.5 and its separate tweeter on 1 channel?).

Another question I had was wether or not 2 bridged channels on this amp (160w @ 2 ohms) would be enough for a 10in sub or what sub would be happy there.

Thanks, let me know what Im missing

You can run a component set off a single channel. I would go with front speakers and a sub in the rear. I would also go with a bigger amp like 4x100.

Last edited:
You can run a component set off a single channel. I would go with front speakers and a sub in the rear. I would also go with a bigger amp like 4x100.
Got any amp suggestions? And thoughts on 8in vs 10in. I listen to all types of music but alot of rap. The only reason I would go with a 8in is for a lower rms draw. Input?

Great buy on this unit eBay,

2 x 125 watts to a pair of 2 ohms comp sets.

2 x 250 watts to a couple of 8's or 10" subs ( the biggest you can fit)

Dual 10's

In a small sealed and stuffed box.

Or this amp same speakers 120 x 4 or 400 watts bridged x2 and up to 900 watts by one for the subs.

Last edited:

One of these in a ported box to tuned around 32hz would work well with your current amp

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...