2010 GMC Terrain - Pioneer System

Participant count
  • Participant list

THRobinson
10+ year member

Hey everyone, just bought a used 2010 GMC Terrain and was happy it had the "premium" Pioneer system in it, until I started to use it. Seems kinda flat, no crispness on the mids/highs... almost like something is in front of the speakers.

Terrain/Equinox site, I see some people say the same thing, and others saying it's the best stock audio system they ever heard.

Would it be the speakers? the deck? or both? How can you tell?

Thing is, from my understanding, if I add a deck to this car it's in-addition-to the existing, mounted below, and may/not lose access to the centre/sub speakers. I really don't want a deck below my deck if possible. Stock plays MP3's directly off USB so, does what I want as it is. Speakers... not so bad. Bit pricey to replace that many speakers but if I know it'll sound better it may be worth it.

Not an audiophile, well... I am but without the budget. :) Just wondering if anyone has this system, had the same issue, did speakers fix it, etc... from my understanding they're just paper cones, it's 13yrs old, maybe just dampness killed them?

Hey everyone, just bought a used 2010 GMC Terrain and was happy it had the "premium" Pioneer system in it, until I started to use it. Seems kinda flat, no crispness on the mids/highs... almost like something is in front of the speakers.

Terrain/Equinox site, I see some people say the same thing, and others saying it's the best stock audio system they ever heard.

Would it be the speakers? the deck? or both? How can you tell?

Thing is, from my understanding, if I add a deck to this car it's in-addition-to the existing, mounted below, and may/not lose access to the centre/sub speakers. I really don't want a deck below my deck if possible. Stock plays MP3's directly off USB so, does what I want as it is. Speakers... not so bad. Bit pricey to replace that many speakers but if I know it'll sound better it may be worth it.

Not an audiophile, well... I am but without the budget. :) Just wondering if anyone has this system, had the same issue, did speakers fix it, etc... from my understanding they're just paper cones, it's 13yrs old, maybe just dampness killed them?
My experience is that new speakers will improve your sound. Start with 2 front speakers to see if the sound improves, before purchasing more.

My experience is that new speakers will improve your sound. Start with 2 front speakers to see if the sound improves, before purchasing more.
Was thinking just that... Get the infinity components and replace the front door and pillars.

Terrain forum has had a few suggestions but seems very split between some saying its the best factory system they ever heard, and people with my issue, dull highs.

Can't seem to find anything about the tweeters. There was an old post about testing the tweeters and how bad they are. But I can't find info about whether or not if buying components, do I use the included crossover, or does the deck/amp handle that.

Infinity is a bit more money than I want to spend, but lots of recommendations and comes in 3ohm.

Some reason instead of all speakers being the same ohms, some are 3, 4 and 6ohms.

What I would do is check the wattage coming off that head unit, which you can do at the speaker terminals (on the head unit or at the speaker).
(I could post this video 3 times a day, for different reasons.)

The stock system is designed to handle what is going to be good enough for most people, and designed with a strict budget in mind. That probably doesn't apply to anyone that made the effort to come to this site, register, and try to figure out how to get more.

Generally the factory systems are real low wattage, (~17w), the speakers may be at some odd ohm rating, and could even be wired in series. As long as you got the speakers off to check the AC voltage, check the ohms rating of the speakers and see if they are 4 ohm or something else.

With those two numbers, you would at least know what you would need to, so you could just replace them.

If you're happy with the head unit, but the wattage is just too low, from there you are looking for RCA connectors in the back to add an amp to probably an AUX setting, or you're adding in a Line Output Converter and adding an amp that way. (If you're adding a LOC, a head unit might be a better option, but at least add that back in to see if that works now).

Once you have that signal out, figured out, you add an amp, and you figure out how much you want to spend on better speakers and match an amp to em. You have room to add a sub now too. When you start adding amps, you need to figure out your electrical.

You can piece most of it together, but budget is the first question. If you want simple, cheap, and easy, then see if those two numbers from earlier give you some options.

Simple/cheap is me... honestly, the volume is fine, I've not maxed it yet and it was loud enough. I don't understand the need for 100w in a car while driving.

I've been able to gather basic speaker info. No watts/rms though just

Front Door - 6.5" 3ohm Mids
Back Door - 6.5“ 6ohm Mids
Pillars - 1" 4ohm Tweeters
Centre - 3.5" 6ohm Mids
Sub - 8" 6ohm

I envy USA prices, even after exchange rate, we still pay 20-40% more for stuff like speakers. Those Infinity Reference REF-6532ex speakers for example, $90USD are $180CAD. After exchange we're still paying $60 more. Saw the price of the component set for the front and almost pee'd myself.

Any love/hate for Rockford Fosgate?

Last edited:
Was thinking just that... Get the infinity components and replace the front door and pillars.

Terrain forum has had a few suggestions but seems very split between some saying its the best factory system they ever heard, and people with my issue, dull highs.

Can't seem to find anything about the tweeters. There was an old post about testing the tweeters and how bad they are. But I can't find info about whether or not if buying components, do I use the included crossover, or does the deck/amp handle that.

Infinity is a bit more money than I want to spend, but lots of recommendations and comes in 3ohm.

Some reason instead of all speakers being the same ohms, some are 3, 4 and 6ohms.
I would use the included crossover. Your

I would use the included crossover. The ohm differences is a manufacturing decision. Probably based on the design of the head unit??? If I replaced speakers, I would try to replace with the same ohm as the ones being replaced, if available. I would use the application on crutchfield.com to see if you could replace with a different ohm. If your vehicle id not addressed on the application, send them a email. They are very knowledgeable.

Sonicelectronix does the same bloody thing that crutchfield does. Idk why people are will only use them when both companies do the same bloody thing with the same free accessories as well. Use both and compare with pricing and what not.
Crutchfield has a Canadian site... From what I can see, Sonic doesn't. Which means exchange rates, duty, and double the cost of shipping.

Simple/cheap is me... honestly, the volume is fine, I've not maxed it yet and it was loud enough. I don't understand the need for 100w in a car while driving.

I've been able to gather basic speaker info. No watts/rms though just

Front Door - 6.5" 3ohm Mids
Back Door - 6.5“ 6ohm Mids
Pillars - 1" 4ohm Tweeters
Centre - 3.5" 6ohm Mids
Sub - 8" 6ohm

I envy USA prices, even after exchange rate, we still pay 20-40% more for stuff like speakers. Those Infinity Reference REF-6532ex speakers for example, $90USD are $180CAD. After exchange we're still paying $60 more. Saw the price of the component set for the front and almost pee'd myself.

Any love/hate for Rockford Fosgate?
Everyone is usually cheap. Most want the premium that doesnt exist within theyre price range. I mean seriously,if you want a Bnew pair of Levis 501 jeans for $20 bucks,expect not to be looking. Thats what 2nd hand or used products are for.there is nothing Cheap in this hobby anymore, but most deff cheaper than when I started this hobby.If you want something?? Save your money for it/work and earn it,and maybe you will learn to appreciate it. I want things myself,and I know that Ill never get those no matter how long and hard I work to earn it. Mainly because it doesnt cost any money. Any Love for RF? NO.!! They are one of the Name brands that are expensive on the entry and less entry merchandise that they sell. Why not look at some other brands for the $?? Do some searching?Save your money,and wait for some sales time of the year to purchase things if you are on a budget?Look at some Used items,open Box items ,ect and try to find a deal? Here is one

Everyone is usually cheap. Most want the premium that doesnt exist within theyre price range. I mean seriously,if you want a Bnew pair of Levis 501 jeans for $20 bucks,expect not to be looking. Thats what 2nd hand or used products are for.there is nothing Cheap in this hobby anymore, but most deff cheaper than when I started this hobby.If you want something?? Save your money for it/work and earn it,and maybe you will learn to appreciate it. I want things myself,and I know that Ill never get those no matter how long and hard I work to earn it. Mainly because it doesnt cost any money. Any Love for RF? NO.!! They are one of the Name brands that are expensive on the entry and less entry merchandise that they sell. Why not look at some other brands for the $?? Do some searching?Save your money,and wait for some sales time of the year to purchase things if you are on a budget?Look at some Used items,open Box items ,ect and try to find a deal? Here is one

You would be surprised what can be found Used, damaged boxed,open box and returns that are fine gems out there, that are just as good as buying new with a small scratch or the like that work and still function excellent ,tested and may even come with a warranty even? I find old school audio all the time that id rather use and run than the newer stuff at times. Some more expensive, and some at a hell of a deal for some premium items even

Any Love for RF? NO.!! They are one of the Name brands that are expensive on the entry and less entry merchandise that they sell. Why not look at some other brands for the $??

I was looking at other brands... Infinity was recommended, which were too much so was looking at the much cheaper RF's. :)

I think the issue I have with the lesser-known-brands, is, what's to research? Often no information to be found, and many of those brands really fudge the specs, so often the numbers can't be trusted. At least with stuff like RF, Kenwood, Pioneer, etc... you can find some ratings and reviews. Can't say I've ever heard of SoundQubed. As mentioned, I'm in Canada, so brands like that aren't really sold here so, by the time I buy from the USA, they cost as much as the RF's.

Used and refurbs I have no issues with. My '02 Impala, speakers also sounded like being muffled so bought Sony XPlod refurbs, 6x9" 3way for the back, and 6.5" components for the front, added the tweeters in the door but up near the mirror. Loved the sound of that car. Probably not the best speakers, but I've always liked Sony products and they sounded good to me.

My '03 Ram, I think has factory Infinity speakers. Sounds great.

Kinda bummed that the 2010 GMC's "premium" sound system option is as bad as the ACDelco's in my '02 Impala. Was expecting them to be as good as the Dodge Ram or better.

My biggest problem aside from cost, is the ohms... 3 here, 4 there, 6 elsewhere. Finding used/refurbs is one thing, matching the size and ohms and finding brands/models that you want, well... could be waiting a long time, could show up online tomorrow.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...