2012 ACCORD Illusion Audio, Arc Audio, Mosconi Operation: Under Cover

Octave
10+ year member

I have done a good amount of work for Jerome and his brother. So when he brought in his 2012 Accord I knew we needed to do something special. Jerome is in law enforcement and given the nature of the purposed idea of the install Operation: Under Cover was fitting.

Purpose of this build is to install a competition ready system while being 100% stealth.

OEM radio as signal source (which later got traded out for a Pioneer 80PRS)

Illusion Audio C6 components

Illusion Audio 12XL

Mosconi 4to6

Mosconi DSP dash controller

Arc Audio 2150se

Arc Audio 4100se

Arc Audio 2300se

Straight Wire cabling

Focal BAM sound dampening

Hush Mat sound dampening

The main fuse is mounted to the OEM battery surround using a piece of ABS.

Split loom was put over the power wire and the power wire was ran along factory lines to give an OEM appearance.

The power wire passes through a grommet in the firewall on the passenger side.

The power wire is secured in place with Hush Mat Quiet tape.

Then the power runs along the passenger side tip tied every 6" to OEM wiring.

As stated in the outline. The OEM radio was used an audio source to begin with but changed it for a Pioneer 80PRS. The following is pics of the OEM tapping. Unfortunately I didn't take pics of the 80PRS install.

The OEM wiring was soldered to a set of RCAs for input into the Mosconi 4to6.

While I had the dash apart I mounted the Mosconi dash controller in a covered cubby under the radio. The controller fit perfect like it was designed for that area.

After that I turned my attention to running the speaker wires. For Speaker wires I used the Straight Wire 4/15 TPR for the midranges and the 2/15 TPR for the tweeters. Running into the door was a breeze with plenty room within the molex boot.

The passenger side wiring was ran over to the driver's side and held in place with Hush Mat Quiet Tape (if you're not using this you don't know what you're missing).

The speaker is then ran down the driver's side zip tied every 6".

With the wires ran the doors could be attended to. Hush Mat sound dampening in silver was applied to the outside skin.

As always I used a piece of ABS to seal up the large cavity in the inner door skin. The panel was heat formed around the door cabling and door wire loom.

10-24 rivet nuts were used as a secure mounting point for the speaker mounting rings.

A layer of Focal Bam sound dampening then was applied to the door.

With the panel removed access is allowed to the inner door.

The passenger door received the same treatment as the driver.

To keep the install stealth the Carbon tweeters were placed into the OEM tweeter housing in the sail panels. Only slight modification was needed to fit the new tweeters. Some hot glue secured the tweeters in place.

Quick disconnects were color coded heat shrunk. Then zip tied.

Always use plexiglass to make my mounting rings. Never trust wood especially MDF in a door even its been treated or coated. Moisture will eventually get at it.

The wire ends were treated with some solder to stop fraying of the wire. The end was then color coded heat shrunk.

The Illusion Audio Carbon C6 comes with a foam gasket attached to it. ANother one of those things the folks at Illusion Audio already thought of.

The passenger got the same treatment.

With the doors done I could now start on the rear. The subwoofer enclosure is mounted to the car using 1/4-20 rivet nuts.

The subwoofer enclosure was filled about 50% with Black Hole Stuff enclosure fill.

The leads for the Illusion Audio 12XL were also treated with some solder.

To keep things simple on the front side a simple trim panel wrapped in matching carpet was made. The subwoofer is also able to play through the sky pass for increased bass output.

With the enclosure bolted into place the amplifiers could be mounted into place. The Arc Audio 2300se powers the Illusion Audio 12XL and is mounted first. All wires are secured using screw down zip ties. Stinger 4 gauge power and ground was used. Straight Wire Symphony RCAs provide the audio signal.

The speaker leads going into the amplifiers were also treated with some solder.

With the Arc Audio 2150se and Arc Audio 4100se mounted the rack is starting to take shape. If done right an amplifier rack should have clean well thought out wire runs with separation of the signal and power wires. The Arc Audio 2150se is used to run the tweeters and the Arc Audio 4100se is bridged to 2 channel to run the midranges. To say this car has headroom is an understatement.

The Mosconi 4to6 is mounted to the side of the enclosure and as you can see easy to get to for adjustments.

The other side of the enclosure houses the power distribution. A Stinger fused power block and ground block provide solid distribution.

On the back side of the power distribution 2 Model 400 BatCaps are mounted. This is their new line with eye catching cases. Too bad their hidden behind a cover panel.

When you open the trunk you are greeted with a carpeted panel. To a regular on looker this looks like the trunk of a hybrid since OEM uses a similar panel to hide the batteries for the hybrid.

With the center panel removed (held in place with magnets) the beauty beneath can be revealed.

The attention to detail is something I accel at so here's an up code pic of the details. I love how the profile from the plexiglass trim molds into the vinyl.

And as all great installs go you need to integrate it into the car and make it look like it came from the factory. To this end I used wood grain overlays, color and textured matched vinyls, and also doing angles within in the design that mimics the interior contours.

For an accent warm white LEDs were used to highlight the amplifiers to create a nice elegant look.

And as a finisher an Octave brand lets you know this is an Octave install.

So. On to the impressions.

Remember what I said about this car having headroom……well it DOES!! Jerome wanted a system that got down but also could do solid SQ. The combination of Illusion Audio and Arc Audio do just that. There is mid bass for daaaaays. I mean those C6s beat on you then there's the Carbon 12XL. Its a civilized guerrilla. In its cage its a subwoofer that fills the cabin with warm bass that blends perfectly with the front stage, stays up front and adds just a little bit more to the kick drum….like its needed with those C6s. But you open up that cage and let it loose…….watch out! To have a subwoofer that is dual personality like that is awesome. The sound stage varies between records. It'll be at just blow the mirror to middle windshield and will stay within that area given the recording. The center is defined with 3D imagining behind it and separation to the left and right. Left and right stay in the the middle of the pillars to door gasket with some float out to the sides. Tonality is just pleasing with great detail heard from within the tracks. Plucks of the strings, breathe sounds, subtle clicks. Its all there. I keep saying it and I think Duane at ORCA is sick of hearing it but they knocked it out of the park with the Illusion line and to have the Arc Audio SEs on them is just another SQ feather in the cap because you're only as strong as your weakest link and they are not that for sure.

In closing I want to say this is my impressions before the speakers have even broken in. I can only wait till they fully break in. If you're around Jerome will be doing competitions so there will be chances to get a demo of this under cover system.

Russ,

For more please visit Octave - Car Audio Orlando Florida

how did i not see this before, i really like the quality of work you're doing here. plus you're local to me, i'd love to see some of this in person if you have the time.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.