3 way compnent question

Participant count
  • Participant list

PaLiAcH
10+ year member

SoCal
for a 3 way component setup, does the tweeter and the midrange both have to be in kicks? or can u put the woofer in the door, the midrange in a kick by itself and the tweeter in the a-pillar?

reason i ask, is ive got fatory tweeters in the a-pillar, and not much room for big kicks (being a manual trans)

also, is a 2nd amp needed? one for woofer and one for mid/tweets? or can the 3 way be run off one amp?

thanx for the help guys!!

-pino

You can mount the seperately. If you want to get the most out of your components, you should use an amp on them. If you want good sound, don't skimp on the amp.

yah they wil be amped, but ill need two, right? one for mid-range/tweet (with crossover) and one for midbass in door?

Assuming you are just buying a regular 2-way comp set, then "adding" a dedicated midbass to them.....yes, you will need two amps. Run one amp to the 2-way set, then the separate amp to the midbass to allow you to cross them over separately.

And, if possible, you should "mock up" the tweeter in both locations and see which way gives you the best performance. As a general rule of thumb, you want the midrange and tweeter as close as possible. And generally a-pillar mounted tweets normally works best when the tweeter is crossed over very high (like 7khz+). Again, that's generalities. Never know....you may like your tweets being in your pillars with a "normal" crossover point. Just mess around with it if you can.

yep squeaks, ill be getting the alpine type x 2 way comps (SPX-177R) and adding a dedicated midbass...

would these work for the midbass? Alpine SPX-17MB? they are basically the alpine type x without the tweeter... but they do have a crossover... is that overkill? or do i need to go with sumthin else?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.