$400 6.5" Comp recommendations

DeepFrz97

I have not installed a new system in one of my cars in about 10 years. I am looking for some recommendations for speakers to listen to and purchase in the neighborhood of $400. Right now I have a Kenwood DDX419 HU and will be adding amps and subs in the future. If the speakers would be able to get by for a bit without an amp that would be a bonus, but not a deal breaker.

The system will be going in a 2008 Toyota Tundra DC. I listen to primarily jazz, but also some old school rap, 80's alternative, and orchestral music. I am looking for a speaker that is pretty neutral. For my home system I have Focal 726v's with a HSU VTF-3 subwoofer if that helps with the tastes. In the 90's I had Polk Audio speakers in my cars and liked the sound, although they were a bit lacking in the volume department.

I have been looking into Rainbows, but am not sure which ones I should try to listen to. I have also been looking at the Boston Acoustics and Focals, but they may push my budget.

I think you'd really enjoy a set of CDT Audio HD-line components. They're designed 100% off the sound quality mentality, and they will make any kind of music sound natural, depending of course on the installation and tuning. I could put together a custom set using 6x9 mids and 2" mid/tweeter hybrids to mount in the dash. The crossovers would push this set above $400 since they alone retail for $399, but you could run this system active.

Not sure how much the Rainbow Germaniums are going for now. I got a set for $400 a while back. Nice speakers with an extremely flexible crossover. The trade off is that the crossover is on the large side.

I ended up putting it under the dash with 3M double sided tape. I also ended up putting spade connectors on the speaker wire.

4825170223_large.jpg

I saw a set of BA SPZ6's on here go for less then 400 or was it less then 300... and they defiantly sound great for that price!

Hybrid Audio Unity are supposed to be good. Same woofer as HAT Imagines, which have good reviews, but crossover and tweeter come from the clarus line. These things put out some sweet bass and crisp highs if you amp them. Some shops may sell you Focal Polyglass V30 which for around $400, which are supposed to be great speakers too. If you're going to run active, the Focals are probably a little better since their crossover box offers more opportunities for tinkering with phase and crossover setup.

I would spend $300 on components and the other $100 on installing them with deadener and doing it right.

It will make a bigger difference installing it right with a lesser set than spending all the money on one set and installing it half assed.

I would spend $300 on components and the other $100 on installing them with deadener and doing it right.
It will make a bigger difference installing it right with a lesser set than spending all the money on one set and installing it half assed.
//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/applause.gif.bb805d8088f72dbc2fe808c29e85fb4c.gif excellent advice !

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.