4th order folks, tell me if I am on track!

They have an EBP of ~70, with a rather high VAS. A 6th order would be a good option, however it would be large.

Most of the calculator will give you a flat response that looks good, but changes a lot in vehicle. As I believe FLA said, make the ported a little larger and it should work out well in vehicle. Your car will most likely have a lot more low end gain. You can combat this some by moving the enclosure further or closer from your hatch which should have an effect on upper end gain.

Oh - Also remember, excursion goes crazy down low. Dont forget to factor in SSF in your response if you dont want to kill your sub!

I built a 4th order for a friend for 2 cheap pioneer 10's, did 1.6 sealed, 2.3 ported tuned to 45hz. Sounded amazing, very clean and dropped right down to 25hz with authority. Just something to consider.

Since I didnt want to end up with a 3 cube box, I'll run this. I am going to ISO the woofers and run .75 on the sealed side and 1.5 of the ported side. Give the 50 square inches of port tuned to 50 and run the port firing straight up.

They have an EBP of ~70, with a rather high VAS. A 6th order would be a good option, however it would be large.
Most of the calculator will give you a flat response that looks good, but changes a lot in vehicle. As I believe FLA said, make the ported a little larger and it should work out well in vehicle. Your car will most likely have a lot more low end gain. You can combat this some by moving the enclosure further or closer from your hatch which should have an effect on upper end gain.

Oh - Also remember, excursion goes crazy down low. Dont forget to factor in SSF in your response if you dont want to kill your sub!
EBP is only a basic start to figure for proper alignment. I do not consider it a way of determining a design goal or type of enclosure. Any driver can be used for a desired response, it's just a matter of the limitations that follow that become the deciding factor. In it's simple form, EBP does not account for what is needed to be considered efficient or not. it's just a basis for the more simple design calculations.

Also, VAS, though considered the acoustical compliance, can be controlled with much more of a variation from its basis volume by tapered lines. so even this is not true for all designs. The basic parameters of a driver is a starting point, but only if you only consider constant port area, specific volume chambers, and very basic "sealed" or "ported" design ideas(which ported covers many box types). It is only a minor factor in the full final response of any driver/box combination. So, with all do respect, I do not use these for telling me what physical parameters will exist in the design. Let all of the factors give you what you need for a response and output. Try all design ideas for a driver. You may be surprised that EBP and VAS will either be incorrect, or dramatically different, depending on the desired response and output.

Most of these basic ideas of figuring for proper design types are based on Q factors of a nominally flat response.

No offense, but I have no idea what you are saying? Are you telling me what I am trying is going to work or if you saying that the advise on here *****? Basically I have 1.5 sealed and 1.5 ported at 50 Hz. To kill space I am isoing the subs so my sealed section will be 0.75 give or take.

No offense, but I have no idea what you are saying? Are you telling me what I am trying is going to work or if you saying that the advise on here *****? Basically I have 1.5 sealed and 1.5 ported at 50 Hz. To kill space I am isoing the subs so my sealed section will be 0.75 give or take.
If this was for me, no, and no. I cannot say it will work without calculating for it myself, and as far as the advice, it does not ****, lol. Just evolving, that's all. No one is wrong about anything so far. Just more goes into it than basics and generalization. But if you are only concerned about something basic, that is completely acceptable of course. Basics sometimes are enough, and sometimes they should be depending on what you are looking for. So, if you think it will work, try it out. If it doesn't, tell us why it didn't work. maybe it will help with knowledge-base on here.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.