97 Bonneville Transmission Issue: Reprogramming TCU

Participant count
  • Participant list

Suicide Bobb
5,000+ posts

SPLC Fails
So I have had this issue since I got the car where it would surge down and up and down and up a few hundred rpm's every second while going up a small incline with a small amount of throttle. My buddy diagnosed it as a bad transmission torque converter solenoid. Many hours later, we replaced it.

Understanding that the previous solenoid sent improper adaptive pressure codes (not faulty, just not correct) to the transmission control unit (TCU), he said that I would have to get the TCU reset/cleared. It's a $100 job at the dealership (only place that can do it), so I figured I would run it by you guys first. Do you think that reprogramming the TCU will fix the issue?

BTW, My buddy has had 6 years of schooling in auto mechanics and 16 years of experience, so I trust his judgment, but some extra verification would be nice before I plop $100 on this repair //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

That vehicle does not have a TCM, it has a pcm which controls the engine and transmission. The computer will relearn the values, just undo the battery negative cable for 1 minute. Reinstall and let the car idle for a few minutes and then drive a few miles gently.

I'm a GM tech and I own a very similar car and it has a very similiar issue, but with 184,000 miles i just let it slide.

As far as taking it to the dealer, it is unlikely that there are updated calibrations for this issue, either you guys fixed it or you didn't.

Let us know.

That vehicle does not have a TCM, it has a pcm which controls the engine and transmission. The computer will relearn the values, just undo the battery negative cable for 1 minute. Reinstall and let the car idle for a few minutes and then drive a few miles gently.I'm a GM tech and I own a very similar car and it has a very similiar issue, but with 184,000 miles i just let it slide.

As far as taking it to the dealer, it is unlikely that there are updated calibrations for this issue, either you guys fixed it or you didn't.

Let us know.
This was a long time ago :/

I took it to the dealership, and they reset it. $300 later (after parts and the reset), it didn't fix it //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif But I got it sold for $1500, and not in a sketchy way. The buyer knew what was going on.

Thanks anyways!

That vehicle does not have a TCM, it has a pcm which controls the engine and transmission. The computer will relearn the values, just undo the battery negative cable for 1 minute. Reinstall and let the car idle for a few minutes and then drive a few miles gently.I'm a GM tech and I own a very similar car and it has a very similiar issue, but with 184,000 miles i just let it slide.

Let us know.
the pcm was integrated for eng and trans in 97? man i'm loosin it. i'm more 2001 and up. i will not touch a carb or even a tbi. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif gm tech here too, well former. went thru asep and all of that. since gm axed our dealer i decided to go import... good luck with them i hear alot of hairy **** going down soon with the "new" gm. dont mean to threadjack

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.