98 Explorer may or may not have amp, options?

adixon816
10+ year member

I have a 98 explorer. Basically it may have a factory amp but it may not it is the premium sound system but depending on production date it is either external (in the rear) or internal in the deck. I am wanting to install a new Kenwood HU and was figuring if I just wire up power and the like with the adapter but run my own speaker wire from the head unit to the speakers it would eliminate any issues with the factory amp. Just looking for some confirmation/options here.

well, find if it has an external amp. if not install regularly.

if it does you could go a couple different routes... they make a wiring kit that runs from the amp to the dash to bypass the amp. theres also the cut&splice method, which is a bit more time consuming and difficult.

That rear panel can be a pain. If it has a factory amp, you can catch all your wires in the passenger running board and bypass it there.

They sell wiring harness for regular or amplified systems, tho. Pull the deck, look at the harness, and match it up.

I have a 98 explorer. Basically it may have a factory amp but it may not it is the premium sound system but depending on production date it is either external (in the rear) or internal in the deck. I am wanting to install a new Kenwood HU and was figuring if I just wire up power and the like with the adapter but run my own speaker wire from the head unit to the speakers it would eliminate any issues with the factory amp. Just looking for some confirmation/options here.
that year explorer is a pain in the *** when it comes to aftermarket stereos. IF you do have the internal amp you can just rewire all the speakers to the new kenwood hu. Just get the correct wire harness and your good. I just rewired all the speakers to my hu as well, it really didn't take all that long.I also have a 1998 ford explorer. Which engine do you have the 4.0 sohc or the 4.0 ohv or 5.0

Yeah that is how I'm going to have to go about it I have actually decided on a nice Kenwood HU last years model I think but that's ok the price is right. I am going to see if I can find the tools I have them around somewhere to pull the deck out. Basically I will be able to tell by the connectors on the back if it is amplified or not right? Cause crutchfield is telling me I need an adaptor but scosche and metro say no. Makes me want to beat myself in the head so I'll have to just take a look.

my dad owns a 98 5.0 awd explorer and there is no real "radio" in the dash. its just a control panel. the actual radio is in the rear panel somewhere near the sub. Just find power and run all new speaker wires directly from the deck or aftermarket amp. do not try to use any of the factory ish.

that year explorer is a pain in the *** when it comes to aftermarket stereos. IF you do have the internal amp you can just rewire all the speakers to the new kenwood hu. Just get the correct wire harness and your good. I just rewired all the speakers to my hu as well, it really didn't take all that long.I also have a 1998 ford explorer. Which engine do you have the 4.0 sohc or the 4.0 ohv or 5.0
Sorry I did not see your post earlier I have the 4.0 sohc. Overall it is a really nice truck in good shape has full leather full power I can't complain. Also if I do have an amp I will likely just run new speaker wires save me some money and like you said it's not hard.

my dad owns a 98 5.0 awd explorer and there is no real "radio" in the dash. its just a control panel. the actual radio is in the rear panel somewhere near the sub. Just find power and run all new speaker wires directly from the deck or aftermarket amp. do not try to use any of the factory ish.
Yeah that is the Mach audio system from what I gather I likely have the premium (no sub) since mine is cd/cassette/radio. It's a pain because part of the year was like the front was just controls and the amp in the back and the second part of the year has everything built into the deck up front. I think I just have to pull it and have a look not like I have other options.

Yeah that is the Mach audio system from what I gather I likely have the premium (no sub) since mine is cd/cassette/radio. It's a pain because part of the year was like the front was just controls and the amp in the back and the second part of the year has everything built into the deck up front. I think I just have to pull it and have a look not like I have other options.
yeah he has the lame sub. i just sold him some kappa 6x8's and he found out after buying them that he has to rewire the whole truck to get some aftermarket slam in there.

I get my Christmas bonus Friday which is when I'm going to order the bulk of my stuff. Even though it's cold I'll **** it up if I have to. Need some good tunes I wouldn't even care for now but half the buttons are broken on the factory radio and don't even work anymore.

I get my Christmas bonus Friday which is when I'm going to order the bulk of my stuff. Even though it's cold I'll **** it up if I have to. Need some good tunes I wouldn't even care for now but half the buttons are broken on the factory radio and don't even work anymore.
same goes for my dad , he has to reach behind in the rear seat area to change channels. and a tape is stuck cuz the buttons don't work anymore. LOL.

No I have to stick my hand behind the center console (which I believe is what you're saying your dad does) but I haven't had that truck all that long so I have to fumble with whacking the buttons back there till I get what I want.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.