A Question About Installing a New Head Unit.

Participant count
  • Participant list

Span

Hi, I'm not only new to the forums, but I'm new to car audio in general and could really use some help.

My girlfriends drives a 2000 Toyota Tacoma and it has this problem: When you turn the volume up to a certain high enough volume (not very loud), the speakers start making cracking and static sounds. She had already bought new speakers thinking that would fix the problem, so I installed them and she's still getting the same problem. She doesn't have a fancy system or anything special, and from what I've read, it could be the cars amp which is the problem. She doesn't have an external stand alone amp.

So I guess I have a few questions here:

1) Do head units contain built in amplifiers? and if they do would this likely fix my problem?

2) Are "head units" the same thing as "stereo receivers" that you can buy at any store?

3) Are all "head units" universal? Like will they be compatible with any car (or more specifically in this case, a car that already has a head unit installed)?

4) If I do get a new head unit, is there any obvious things I should watch out for when I install it?

I apologize for my car audio ignorance. If you need more information let me know, any help or insight would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you

It likely is the factory head unit failing.

And yes typically head units are universal but they have two common sizes: single din and double din

Most cars will accept a single din replacement radio with a simple dash kit, wiring harness, and possibly an antenna adapter.

Most newer cars can accept the larger double din radios.

In your particular case I would suggest ordering from Crutchfield.com since they have decent prices a good reputation and their techs are usually very good at answering questions.

Plus if you order from Crutchfield they send you instructions on your specific car and often include the wiring and dash kits for free or at least discounted.

It's a beginners one stop shop and I can't recommend them enough.

That said amps, speakers, wires, subs can be found cheaper elsewhere on line often better product can be found for the money but fore a simple radio I always order from Crutchfield.

Did she have the factory JBL system? On that truck I believe it said it on the radio. If so there should an amplifier right below the radio (you can see when you take it out). I highly suggest by-passsing that if that is the case.

Hi, I'm not only new to the forums, but I'm new to car audio in general and could really use some help.
My girlfriends drives a 2000 Toyota Tacoma and it has this problem: When you turn the volume up to a certain high enough volume (not very loud), the speakers start making cracking and static sounds. She had already bought new speakers thinking that would fix the problem, so I installed them and she's still getting the same problem. She doesn't have a fancy system or anything special, and from what I've read, it could be the cars amp which is the problem. She doesn't have an external stand alone amp.

So I guess I have a few questions here:

1) Do head units contain built in amplifiers? and if they do would this likely fix my problem?

2) Are "head units" the same thing as "stereo receivers" that you can buy at any store?

3) Are all "head units" universal? Like will they be compatible with any car (or more specifically in this case, a car that already has a head unit installed)?

4) If I do get a new head unit, is there any obvious things I should watch out for when I install it?

I apologize for my car audio ignorance. If you need more information let me know, any help or insight would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you
Another thing worth looking into is the gauge of wiring that is going from your head unit to your speakers. I just recently bought a 2000 civic, and I noticed that the front speakers didn't work, and the backs made the same crackling or popping noise that your girlfriend is experiencing. Upon investigation I realized that there were already aftermarket speakers in place (Old Old Old Power Bass) and an aftermarket head unit (again old, but alpine at least) so I knew something was up prior to THAT install. When I stated pulling the speakers, I noticed that the gauge of wire was very thin. Sure, the stock wiring is very thin, but the crimp connections from the speakers to the car wiring had VERY VERY thin pigtails. This turned out to be my main issue.

I wanted new speakers anyway, so I bought a set of JBL components for the front and a set of JBL 6x9's for the back. When I went to install these speakers, I ran some new wire with it (I ran 12 gauge, which is wayyy overkill for just head unit power, but with the days of amazon it makes it too reasonable not to do so). The new wiring and new speakers seemed to fix my issue.

So long, rambling story short, check your wires and connections and be sure they are of adequate gauge and quality. A good rule of thumb is to match the gauge of wire coming out of your head unit to the wire that will be sent out to the speakers.

Hope this helps,

-Kyle

^^ Your on to something. While not directly related to the gauge of the wire, the molex connectors in the doors of those Civics were known to rotting out. I Have seen it more than once and it is miserable to work with. However I am not sure if the his truck uses a Molex plug in the door.

^^ Your on to something. While not directly related to the gauge of the wire, the molex connectors in the doors of those Civics were known to rotting out. I Have seen it more than once and it is miserable to work with. However I am not sure if the his truck uses a Molex plug in the door.
So maybe this is why those connectors have a bunch of dielectric grease in them? Makes one heck of a mess.... However, just to pick your brain a little further, the crackling noise was coming from the rear speakers. I didn't follow the wires all the way under the dash, but I didn't see any connectors between the rears and the H/U. That's what makes me think problem with carrying that kind of power.

And, for a little more knowledge, I managed to blow one of the Power Bass on the way back home this last weekend. Man I can't wait until my JBL's come in...

The rears are connected to the head unit, it is how they are powered. Whether they go to the amp and the amp goes to the headunit, or just straight to the headunit, there are pinned rear outputs at the HU. Unless the car has been beat up and molested, the only place speaker wires typically go bad is the door boot.

It could very well be the factory unit or the factory JBL, if equiped. Those units are pushing 17 years old.

Yea I agree with that. My only statement is that --- since the rears are straight wired in and don't go through a door boot --- I am led to believe that the issue was with the current carrying capacity of the stock wiring. Regardless, they are working better, and the JBL's that I have on order should more than handle the power the H/U is putting out. 17 years old.... gotta let that sink in lol.

I would not think it is a current capacity issue. A strong majority of 4 channel amps I install still utilize the factory wiring and I never have run into an issue.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.