Adding to Imapla

opethfan
10+ year member

I recently purchased a 09 Impala LTZ. It does have the Bose system. I can live with the sound but would like to add a little bass. Do I just need something like AOEM-GM1416A and maybe a PAC LC-1? I have a few amps (Eclipse xa5000 , Pioneer GM-X354 , and an old Rockford Fosgate Punch 75.2). I think I would just put in the Punch and a Pioneer 10' sub that I have. This combo sounded quite good in my Monte Carlos that I had. Any idea on the output of the Punch and possibly a 10' or 12' for around $100 that might be better(sealed box)? I would try the Pioneer first and see how that sounded though. Just want to check and see if those 2 parts would be all I needed (along with the wires for the amp of course).

OK. Stopped at the nearest install shop and got some info. The guy said to just replace the speakers and keep the bose amp and head unit and add an amp just for the sub. He kept saying Bose interface this and Bose interface that. Is it such a big deal to replace the stock deck(I do not care about the blue tooth) and use my own head unit and 5 channel amp(or combination of amps that I have)? He was saying there are several items I would need costing hundreds of dollars. Wouldn't I just need something to keep the factory chimes and such (and in dash kit for hu which is cheap) ?

It's not a huge deal to replace the bose system. The factory amp is the biggest pain in the Bose system. You need an install adapter that will trigger the factory amp if you are keeping any part of the Bose system.

Otherwise, repacing the head unit, front speakers(and sound deadening front doors), and adding a real sub stage is a HUGE improvement to the sound in your car.

That's what I thought but the guy kept saying keep the bose amp and stock radio. Just replace the speakers and add an amp for the sub.He also said that changing radios and using a different amp wouldn't sound much better than the bose amp. I have a few amps to use and a hu that I like(jvc kd-sh1000). Older,yes,but does have ta and allow me to run active if I decide to. Maybe he just didn't want to do something that might take a while? I don't know. I will have to ask a couple other shops. At first I wanted to keep the stock radio,but I think I will let my xm expire and don 't need the bluetooth and can live without steering wheel controls.

Went to another city and a more well known shop in Rochester this past weekend. Their install guy said to just add a loc and a sub amp and not bother with speakers if keeping the stock unit. I don't know why I can't get any good info on installing speakers and my own amps and possibly keeping the stock head unit. I do not use the blue tooth but I do like the siriusxm and steering wheel controls. I'd be willing to give these up though if I needed to just to get my own unit and amps and speakers put in. What a pain these Bose systems are. I think I will try one more place in Buffalo soon.

Retaining steering wheel controls when replacing the radio requires an interface. That part is not optional. Retaining the door chime requires a different interface, and many shops are not going to want to do it a cheaper way that takes away factory features. Bluetooth is a good feature that you should start using. It's silly to put yourself in the position of having to hold your phone and become a danger to others or reject all calls while driving.

I replaced my headunit using the interfaces just because I am buji like that I guess but I would never go back. I also installed a nice 3-way for the fronts and it is incredible. Lose the Bose!!!

Is it possible to keep the stock head unit and add one of the 5 channel amps I have? Also replace the factory speakers. So keep the head unit but nothing else Bose related? That way I retain bluetooth and steering wheel controls and chimes etc. I have a 5 channel , a 4 channel and a 2 channel amp just sitting around. I would like to make use of them somehow.lol I do have a zx700.5 that can work off of just the front inputs(if I use a loc with no sub outputs) and then I could get a bass knob. I also have a soundstream eq sitting around if I use the other 5 channel(xa5000)so I could control bass and eq from that.

Last edited by a moderator:
you should be able to add a 5 channel to the factory system.

a properly wired LOC will do the trick. See if you can find a wiring diagram for your car and go from there. You can even splice into the inputs for your Bose amp and leave the Bose amp for any other speakers/components that you aren't going to replace/remove.

I currently have 2 4 channels and a mono block added into my BMW and still have the OEM radio, amp, and rear speakers. I cant imagine a Chevy system would be any more complicated then a BMW

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.