Advice from people who know. Setting up a build

Coupe
10+ year member

I have a Alpine MRD-F752. I bought it on Ebay many years ago but never had a build. It is a 5 Channel 1 Amp Solution. This thing has crazy power. Just to give you an idea it is rated at 75x4 @ 4 Ohms and 250x1 @ 4 Ohms. This is the actual ratings most of them put out!

outside4.jpg

Anyway. I bought a set of Infinity Kappa 6 x 9 for the back and a Infinity Kappa Perfect 5 1/4 component for the front. The 6 x 9 were 2 ohms but they were supposed to take 120 watts which is clearly right around the amp power (which is 100 watts @ 2 ohm spec - translate to maybe 120-125 watts). The front Perfects were 110 watts, which also was more than the amp was supposed to put out even with the fact that the amp powers more than its specs.

Needless to say this Amp TORE through all 4 speakers and blew a hole in the rubber of my Eclipse Aluminum 12" sub (although that was a mounting problem where the bass made the box jump and fall on its front)

I spoke too much, I realize also I might have to under power my amp so I do not blow my speakers in the future. (ugh and my gain was about 80% not full blast)

If you guys could help with recommendations for a front 5 1/4 component and a rear 6 x 9 or should I get the brackets and put rear 6 1/4 or go full 6 1/4 component. My price limit is approximately $400, unless persuaded //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

your gain shouldn't be set at 80%......did you just turn it up and go? you are supposed to set gains with a multimeter or an oscilliscope
I do have a nice fluke multimeter. Can you tell me what we need to do for the future?

Stick with the boner Rsd's in front

and um... RE SR for sub?
Stick w/ the boner? I'm a car audio newb, so what you mean? I'm not worried about the Sub right now it still punches enough till it blows. I'm trying to spend about 400 on the speakers, the sub can wait.

First fix your gain. Do a search on how to set gains correctly. 80% would most of the time mean clipping. Well unless. your preouts are something like .75v

First fix your gain. Do a search on how to set gains correctly. 80% would most of the time mean clipping. Well unless. your preouts are something like .75v
Oh yeah I did set the gains till i heard distortion then pulled them back down. I was just guessing about 80%.

This is my head unit.

KD-NX5000

22598.JPG

So you guys are recommending phoenix gold RSD for the 5.25 component fronts and for the rear what do you recommend?

Needless to say this Amp TORE through all 4 speakers and blew a hole in the rubber of my Eclipse Aluminum 12" sub
Just to be clear, the amp did only what the user told it to do - It doesn't have a mind of it's own. The gains plus the volume knob on your deck blew your drivers. Search on how to set your gains before you spend any more money.

you are supposed to set gains with a multimeter or an oscilliscope
or by ear //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

I personally say that you should opt and spend a tad more money and get the new 720 Pioneer Components.

And, if you have the means, upgrade to a 6.5". All you should need is a MDF spacer.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.