Advice required re Stiffening Capacitor's and Power Drain

Participant count
  • Participant list

CelicaSteve

Hi,

I have a 2000 Toyota Celica which is has quite a lot of AV components, along with aftermarket performance items. The car is only used at weekend's and is prone to parasitic drain problems if not used for a week or two.

When the car is idle/shut down it's pulling between 110-120ma of drain, which is quite high, I understand that Ideally it should be closer to 50ma.

I have measure the drain at individual live feeds and have found that 30ma of drain is from the main 4awg feed going to the amps, and 80ma of drain is from the main fuse board.

I'm investigating the drain from the 4awg amp feed first, and trying to eliminate it (before moving onto the drain from the main fuse board).

The drain from this feed is only present if my power cap is in the circuit (actually measure 28-29ma), if I remove the cap and reconnect the live terminals to one another or remove the earth from the cap the drain goes down to zero.

Thinking that there may be an issue with my capacitor causing a cuurent leak I have ordered and installed a new one but am still experiencing the same amount of drain.

Can anyone advise me if the amount of drain from the cap being in place is quite normal?, if so I may install a heavy duty isolating relay in series with the cap, which turns off with the radio.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks

Steve

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.