Age old box question, SEALED vs PORTED

I mean everyone knows that ported box's get louder and produce deeper bass. The rumor is that sealed box's have more punch.. Any truth? Do you think a sealed is better than a poorly tuned ported?
completely false. I never got the punch I wanted from sealed EVER. I listen to metal too. Best boxes for metal is 1/4 wave Transmission line enclosures and a well designed ported or folded horn. You just have garbage pre-made boxes and you'll never get what you want with those. If you want to go sealed do two 15s sealed, thats the only way you'll get enough output to even scratch the surface of what you are looking for.

Right now you just have a severe lack of output issue and a sealed box is just gonna make that worse. You just need to get louder AKA better box, better power and maybe more subs or better subs.

Your box is FAR from loud or producing any kind of deep bass. ITs TUNED TO 44 HZ. you probably die off under 40hz and have very limited bass response due to a very poor design.

How does this work? Bigger box = more bandwidth but less output? It probably would eventually get to a point where you might as well just run a sealed box.
mainly port dimentions. Box only needs to be as big as a woofer needs according to what the sub calls for and power. Bigger doesnt mean more bandwidth thats false in some cases you'll get peakier and feel like you've lost bandwidth.

mainly port dimentions. Box only needs to be as big as a woofer needs according to what the sub calls for and power. Bigger doesnt mean more bandwidth thats false in some cases you'll get peakier and feel like you've lost bandwidth.
More port area = bigger bandwidth but less output while less port area is more peaky but louder?

More port area = bigger bandwidth but less output while less port area is more peaky but louder?
no. More port area = less bandwidth but more output. Less port area more bandwidth less loud. HOWEVER thats just generalized. It really depends on the sub, some subwoofers require much more port area than others while others dont require anywhere near as much, You'll really need to learn how to model and design subs properly to figure it out bud. General statements are just general statements, every sub, every vehicle, every system is completely different and needs real testing to build the perfect enclosure.

Ok let me change my question. I understand a custom ported box in many shapes and sizes are far superior, I do get it. Lets just say at the current point in time I'm not really interested in making a custom box. Would it do me justice to switch to a sealed box with the correct airspace (perfect is 1.49, but 1.50 should be fine), over my current, 44hz, probably incorrect everything else, ported box? Will a not so perfect ported box still produce better than a sealed?

no. More port area = less bandwidth but more output. Less port area more bandwidth less loud. HOWEVER thats just generalized. It really depends on the sub, some subwoofers require much more port area than others while others dont require anywhere near as much, You'll really need to learn how to model and design subs properly to figure it out bud. General statements are just general statements, every sub, every vehicle, every system is completely different and needs real testing to build the perfect enclosure.
ok thanks man. I've been researching thiele and small parameters and how they work etc. I wish WinISD accounted for port area. Like I will change the port area and the response will stay the same //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif. 

---------- Post added at 09:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:03 AM ----------

Ok let me change my question. I understand a custom ported box in many shapes and sizes are far superior, I do get it. Lets just say at the current point in time I'm not really interested in making a custom box. Would it do me justice to switch to a sealed box with the correct airspace (perfect is 1.49, but 1.50 should be fine), over my current, 44hz, probably incorrect everything else, ported box? Will a not so perfect ported box still produce better than a sealed?
Oh yeah I'd take a sealed box at the maximum size over a 44hz tuned box any day.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.