Alpine PDX 4.150 any good?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Glaucus
10+ year member

Hey folks!

So I'm looking at the Alpine PDX 4.150 amp. It seems to have lots of juice, it's very efficient, it's very small and easy to install and seems to be perfect for my application. However, it's a class D (digital switching) amp and I'm not sure what the low-down on these type of amps is. I know they were used for subs for some time now, but are they now at the point where they're acceptable for full range speakers? On paper the PDX line has a THD of 1%, is that something to be concerned with? The salesmen tell me that it's a great amp and that I shouldn't worry about the THD.

As for my setup, I plan to run the fronts of the amp and to either 1) bridge the two remaining channels for sub or 2) just run the rears off the amp as well. Keep in mind that option is not a long term consideration, but I may do it while I'm shopping around & saving up for a sub.

Any thoughts?

- Mike

You won't hear 1% THD...odd order or otherwise //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I hate when the term "digital" is used for Class D, because there's nothing "digital" about it...it's only described that way because of the on/off states of the output devices. But there's nothing "digital" that's coming in or out of the amp //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Thanks Jim. Yeah, I understand what the word "digital" means in this case. I know it's not the same as in the home theater world where a "digital" receiver actually does accept and output digital signals. The word digital just means on/off as you said. And as a programmer I think of it as ones and zeros. But ya, same idea. :)

- Mike

However, it's a class D (digital switching) amp and I'm not sure what the low-down on these type of amps is. I know they were used for subs for some time now, but are they now at the point where they're acceptable for full range speakers?
Full range class D amplifiers have been around for decades. It is not a "new" concept.

And as Jim mentioned...1% THD is perfectly acceptable and inaudible.

Okay, thanks Squeak & Jim! Now I can purchase with confidence! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

- Mike

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.