Alpine PDX - Spec help

n0114692
10+ year member

Nevada
Hi guys,

I'm looking to buy a new amp in the near future. Ideally i'm looking for something that can do 200+ watts x 2 @ 3 ohm.

I've been looking at the new Alpine PDX amps and the 4.100 has cuaght my eye (i can also get these at the very cheap price too //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/tongue.gif.6130eb82179565f6db8d26d6001dcd24.gif)

Anyways heres the specs from the alpine site:

800W MAX Power

4 x 100W RMS (2ohms, 14.4V, 1% THD)

4 x 100W RMS (4ohms, 14.4V, 1% THD)

2 x 200W RMS @ 4 Ohms bridged

So here are my questions:

1. What is the output of this amp when bridged @ 3ohms?

2. What is the output of this amp when bridged @ 3ohms to a 12.5V supply?

If anyone knows of any other good amps that can do 200+WRMS @ 3ohms let me know.

Thanks

None of the PDX amps will do 3 ohms, only 2 ohms or 4 ohms. If you're looking for an amp that will do 3 ohms the only thing I can think of is JL Audio. What are you trying to power that requires 3 ohms anyways?

None of the PDX amps will do 3 ohms, only 2 ohms or 4 ohms. If you're looking for an amp that will do 3 ohms the only thing I can think of is JL Audio. What are you trying to power that requires 3 ohms anyways?
If its stable at 2 ohms, its stable at 3 //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif

Lookin to power some boston pro 60's.

Just curious if anybody has tried a 4 channel pdx bridged at 3ohm, and if so were there problems or did it hit protect? I'm lookin at a kicker 550.2 as well, but the smaller footprint and better efficiency of the pdx would be nice.

If its stable at 2 ohms, its stable at 3 //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif
Lookin to power some boston pro 60's.

Just curious if anybody has tried a 4 channel pdx bridged at 3ohm, and if so were there problems or did it hit protect? I'm lookin at a kicker 550.2 as well, but the smaller footprint and better efficiency of the pdx would be nice.
Not necessarily. When on a single channel, if it is 2 ohm stable then yes, it will be 3 ohm stable. However, the OP is wanting to know what it will do bridged, and bridged specs on the PDX are at 4 ohms. With my experience, it's not a good idea to run the amp below it's recommended impedence. I ran my 1.1000 at 1.4 ohms and it worked fine, but if you're not careful with volume, gain, frequency being played, etc, then fuses will blow or amp will go into protect.

I'm not too familiar with the Pro 60's, but I had the Z6's and they were quite power hungry. 125w to the mid in an active setup was quite weak. Personally, I wouldn't run the PDX at any impedence below what Alpine has rated it.

Not necessarily. When on a single channel, if it is 2 ohm stable then yes, it will be 3 ohm stable. However, the OP is wanting to know what it will do bridged, and bridged specs on the PDX are at 4 ohms. With my experience, it's not a good idea to run the amp below it's recommended impedence. I ran my 1.1000 at 1.4 ohms and it worked fine, but if you're not careful with volume, gain, frequency being played, etc, then fuses will blow or amp will go into protect.
I'm not too familiar with the Pro 60's, but I had the Z6's and they were quite power hungry. 125w to the mid in an active setup was quite weak. Personally, I wouldn't run the PDX at any impedence below what Alpine has rated it.
Thats what I was lookin for //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Ashtrey - I'm trying to power a set of BA Z6's. Currently i have a JL 300/4v2 bridged running providing a healthy 150= wrms. I did have the 450/4 but decided to sell it. But i can't help think that these components can easily take more.. well they did take more from the 450/4.

Donpisto - I have the Z6's. Excellent components, yes they cost alot but worth very penny!

Ashtrey - I'm trying to power a set of BA Z6's. Currently i have a JL 300/4v2 bridged running providing a healthy 150= wrms. I did have the 450/4 but decided to sell it. But i can't help think that these components can easily take more.. well they did take more from the 450/4.

Donpisto - I have the Z6's. Excellent components, yes they cost alot but worth very penny!
I can't really speak of the mids, but for the 125w they received, it was not worth it. Heard they need like 300w - 400w each mid. They did have some pretty darn good midbass though.

I will vouch for that , just yesterday I returned a pdx 1000.1 was runin 3 cvr 12"s at just under 2 ohms Amp was way unstable.

My 1.600 gets plenty hot at 4 ohm, so I'd guess 3 would burn it up over time.

Remember, these amps don't really have a state of the art heat sink or anything, they are just kind of crammed in a little metal and plastic case of sorts. I think they Alpine engineers banked on heat issues not being a major issue with efficiency ratings as high as 90%. Mine has gotten very warm, but never threw a thermal.

Get a JL 300/4 is my best advice.
Currently running a JL 300/4 to my Z6's.. Although they sound amazing, can't help but think they can take alot more.

What amps can you guys suggest that provide a healthy 200w or more at 3 ohms ??

if you want to use it bridged, then it would better not to bridge it under 4ohms(Alpine PDXs) but you may use it unbridged from 2 upto 4 ohms.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.